Do you guys custome paint your planes?

By Pour Le Merite, in Wings of War

Since we play campaign game some of us have started with painting our personal planes. Some of us even retire the plane when the pilot dies.

Here is anyways 2 pictures of my pilot Erich Greims personal Albatross DIII:

s72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/Judas_photos/

i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/Judas_photos/Greim2.jpg

Ignore the junk in the background, I am building and painting several planes right now. The painting is actually a mix between 3 real planes so it still looks realistic.

Do any of you guys do something similar?

If so give us some pics :)

Do I have plans to do so - absolutely!

Have I managed to find the time to do so yet - sadly not sad.gif

I would like very much to do an Albatross with the name " Hummel " for WoW , and a few Finnish aircraft for DoW .

I usually paint some details, like 10 minutes every day. It adds up and I have 20 custom planes or so, some more detailed than others, but time isn't really an issue, you can't paint everything at the same time anyways.

Try to do a little each day instead of starting painting 15 planes at the same time and youll be fine :)

Mostly only retouches of metal and wood parts and a bit of shading on models I think looked a bit flat (DH4s and Rolands), and to remove ace-specific markings if I have several examples of the same plane. The only ones I've done more extensive work on are my Jasta 2 planes, with a complete repaint on a Fokker Dr1 (as Paul Baumer's, to use with the model of Kempf's Dr1 from Jasta "Boelcke")) and redone wings and tail on 2 DVas (with 2 more on order that'll be finished this way).

Picture002.jpg

I've ordered up some Reviresco models (Breguet and AEG bombers, Hanriots) including a pack of their aircrew figures which I'll be adding to these planes and all the others without crew models. Probably replace the crew figures on the rest too since you get 30 in the pack.

That Dr1 looks really nice :)

We are also making a large order to Reviresco next week, both to add more planes to our collection and to get some of their Lozenge cammo decal sheets. Painting Lozenge by hand never really looks good. Not sure how easy to decals are to put on but they are worth a try.

I am BTW testing Humbrols "Maskol" right now, it is a rubber thing you paint on stuff you don't want any colour on, it is nece when you want to keep the decals but paint in some other colour around them instead of buying new decal sheets, or when you change one clour on a pre painted plane but keep another close to it. Costed me 6 bucks.

bluemoonminiatures.com can do some really nice work too. check them out. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Have done a couple of full blown repaints, as well as some "remarkings" using Dom's Decals