New guys in the Mansion

By DGsMaddness, in Mansions of Madness

And a big hello to all the mad boys and girls playing this game.

I found this game about a month ago, and picked up the starter set a few weeks later... And I love it.

So far I've played keeper for the same two friends on two separate game sessions. They're both seasoned gamers, and it's more of a play test.

I'll spare you all, the minor detail questions for later.

But I will say, it seems very easy for a newer group to forget about the point of the game. That is instead of trying to get to the next clue, they get caught up in fighting and puzzles and searching every room out.

I've also come to realize that if the keeper even mostly knows what he's doing, it's **** near impossible for a 2 player team to search the entire board.

That's right. And that's their lesson to learn. The point is to follow the clue chain and to survive.

If they're comfortable controlling two investigators each, they might be able to get in more exploration. But of course, monsters and the like will be more frequent.

i think the role of the keeper isn't to attempt to wipe the floor with the investigators, but to give them the best possible play through of the game. for instance, in "Fall of House Lynch", if the investigators are getting a bit behind, and the Maniac isn't on the board, you can pull back for a while, leave him off the board, and let the game continue. (and there is, of course, the horror movie feel of some loose maniac with an axe looming in every room)

in my opinion, even without breaking the 4th wall, you can always give the investigators a little nudge in the right direction. if the Keeper goes hard from the start, i think the keeper will win 90% of the games, because it's edged in his/her favor. before starting a game with a group that's new to the game, make sure they know that they are on a timer. it's not a treasure hunt, it's a murder mystery, so follow the clues. getting sidetracked is a sure way to let the keeper win.