Force Power: Foresee

By Jereru, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Alright, this Power (more precisely its left branch, Initiative booster usage) strikes me as a bit oddly explained. Let us see how I understand it and tell me what do I get wrong, will you?

Basic Power: Ok, this one's easy, though a mess for the game IMHO. I've never liked those kind of powers and neither has my GM so I'll skip using it.

Control #1: Use this to roll your Force Dice on Initiative checks. Pretty good and simple for now.

Magnitude: Ok, so I'm pretty sure this is taken in order to apply Control #2 and #3 (below) to your team mates. What I'm not sure is about applying Control #1. It should, but then how many FD would they roll? The same as me? Their own, in case they had some? If it didn't apply, why? Mag upgrades are supposed to apply to all uses of the power, right?

Also, I guess it could be used to see into other's future.

Range: I suppose this is in order to use Magnitude upgrades from far away.

Control #2: Increase Ranged & Melee Defense by 2 on First Turn."Affected targets" I guess are you and anyone you included in your Mag upgrades.

Control #3: The Force user (so, only I) may spend a pip to grant affected targets (thus me and the ones included in the Mag upgrades) a free Maneuver before 1st round starts.

Seems to me a bit... awkward, and still some doubts about it. What do you say?

Magnitude: Ok, so I'm pretty sure this is taken in order to apply Control #2 and #3 (below) to your team mates. What I'm not sure is about applying Control #1. It should, but then how many FD would they roll? The same as me? Their own, in case they had some? If it didn't apply, why? Mag upgrades are supposed to apply to all uses of the power, right?

You don't need Magnitude in order to use Control 2 or 3, because the Controls can effect anyone affected by the power, which at its base, is always you, so you can always get the bonuses, Magnitude just spreads it.

YOU are rolling the power as part of your initiative check. So when you bring other players into the power's effect because of Magnitude, everything is affected by the points you roll and you spend. So if you spend 2 force points to add 2 successes, it adds it to your initiative roll and everyone you effect with the power. If multiple players have foresee and available Force Dice to roll, then they'd each roll their dice independently and spend their powers however they choose.

Everything else, you're correct on.

Magnitude: Ok, so I'm pretty sure this is taken in order to apply Control #2 and #3 (below) to your team mates . What I'm not sure is about applying Control #1. It should, but then how many FD would they roll? The same as me? Their own, in case they had some? If it didn't apply, why? Mag upgrades are supposed to apply to all uses of the power, right?

You don't need Magnitude in order to use Control 2 or 3, because the Controls can effect anyone affected by the power, which at its base, is always you, so you can always get the bonuses, Magnitude just spreads it.

YOU are rolling the power as part of your initiative check. So when you bring other players into the power's effect because of Magnitude, everything is affected by the points you roll and you spend. So if you spend 2 force points to add 2 successes, it adds it to your initiative roll and everyone you effect with the power. If multiple players have foresee and available Force Dice to roll, then they'd each roll their dice independently and spend their powers however they choose.

Everything else, you're correct on.

Yeah, notice the bold on your quote of my original ;)

On the other subject, now that you say it it makes perfect sense. It just didn't occur to me to read it that way. Thank you :)

Basic Power: Ok, this one's easy, though a mess for the game IMHO. I've never liked those kind of powers and neither has my GM so I'll skip using it.

I've used this kind of power in other systems. If you run scripted adventures, it can work, though it does take some getting used to and some care to provide information that will be useful, without being a total spoiler. Also note the reference from the movies, specifically ESB. You don't have to provide information about the player, they can see things in a far off location that are of relevance to them and their story, but nothing they can affect directly. This can actually be useful as you can divide the party dramatically and allow Foresee to keep group B up to date with group A.

That said, if you're sandboxing it.... not as useful beyond the whole keeping up thing.

Although the future is always in motion, and even Yoda and Palpy demonstrate regularly that using the Force to see the future is pretty much worthless. Yoda would use the power, and then not be able to see enough to answer any questions of relevance, and Palps Forsaw basically nothing that turned out to be true...

Well, is not that I find it unuseful, but rather problematic for the GM. He has stated several times how he hates to deal with these situations, and I try to empatize with the GM and make his work as smooth as I can (plus I also hated it when I was GMing).

On the other hand, other GMs I know have made good use of similar powers, as in "I need to give the players some hint, let's say they Foresee something" or the like. But I think we'll agree that it is a bit too wide. For now, I'll have it, he will take into account that I'll have it for his own purpouses and he can trust me not to demand too much of it.

I cannot help but recall what happened when some Masters with great clairvoyance capabilities failed to interpret what they had seen about Zaine Carrick :P

Always in motion the future is... every action made spawns a reaction, every decision has a consequence, when the Force closes a door, it often opens a window...

A follow up question that I've had:

If you don't have any Range upgrades, but you do have Magnitude upgrades, how far away can you affect other people with your power? The Control #1 doesn't have a base range, because it only affects you.

I've assumed once you get a Magnitude upgrade, it changes from you to Engaged Range.

You assumed correctly. Says so in the Magnitude description on Pg 203.