2015 Regionals Results

By MajorJuggler, in X-Wing

We have a new tournament that we now have List Juggler entries for. We DO have lists for all the players (see "info: " link below), so lets see if we can crowd source entering those Top 16 lists!

Note: some translation might be required for a couple of the lists that don't have squad builder links. Please make sure you get the english upgrades correct for foreign language lists. And make sure that my listings here match what they have, I haven't checked yet.

Itzehoe, Germany

May 9-10, 2015
Holstein Center
Attendance: 55

Info: http://www.moseisleyraumhafen.com/t6003-09-05-15-regional-nord-2015-itzehoe

List Juggler: http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=439

• Winner: Corran Horn + Veteran Instincts + Fire-Control System + R2-D2 + Engine Upgrade; 2x Blue Squadron Pilot + Fire-Control System + Ion Cannon
  • 2nd place: IG-88B + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Sensors + Heavy Laser Cannon + Autothrusters + IG-2000; IG-88C + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Sensors + Heavy Laser Cannon + Autothrusters + IG-2000;
  • Top 4: Whisper + Rebel Captive + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Cloaking Device; 5x Academy Pilot
  • Top 4: 4x Academy Pilot; 4x Obsidian Squadron Pilot
  • Top 8: Dash Rendar + Push the Limit + Heavy Laser Cannon + Engine Upgrade + Kyle Katarn + Outrider; Corran Horn + Veteran Instincts + Fire-Control System + R2-D2
  • Top 8: Whisper + Intelligence Agent + Fire Control System + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Cloaking Device; 5x Academy Pilot
  • Top 8: IG-88B +Predator + Advanced Sensors +Mangler Cannon + Autothrusters + Feedback Array + IG-2000; IG-88C +Predator + Advanced Sensors +Mangler Cannon + Autothrusters + Feedback Array + IG-2000
  • Top 8: Airen Cracken + Swarm Tactics; Gold Squadron Pilot + Ion Cannon Turret + R3-A2 + BTL-A4; 2x Blue Squadron Pilot + Fire-Control System + Tactician + B-Wing/E2

Fel has always been good, but Autothrusters has made him great...not to mention that the downward power bump from the decloaking errata that Phantoms received.

I haven't seen as many Mango outriders in the Top 8 lists as HLC Outriders, 7 to 11, but that is more than I had remembered before going back to count. Although, it seems like the love for Out-Mango-riders is more outside the US, so that may have been why I didn't expect to see them as often, being an American player.

I'm 'MuriCAN and using Mangler.

I don't understand how FFG seem unable to build a decent tournament app... It seems like a very straight forward piece of software to develop.

Speaking as a software engineer and engineering manager, I have to disagree.

In order to really pull off a project like this, you need:

- A clear and comprehensive set of use cases (imagine all of the wacky stuff TOs have to do during a tournament; fix typos in last round's data, drop players - wait no they're staying, etc.)

- Detailed specifications about the rules of the games that need support (SoS vs. MoV, etc.)

- The right technology stack for the job (does it need to run on OSX? XP? iPad?)

- An engineering team capable of executing the project (at minimum, I'd want a separate, dedicated QA person)

Missing on any of the above means that you end up with a product that's mostly correct for the common use cases, but responds to curveballs by doing things that give TOs heart attacks, rather than making their lives easier (see the earlier comments about it crashing when a player got added late, etc.).

Getting all of the above right is difficult for anyone, and I don't see any particular evidence that suggests FFG is going to be better than average at it. The fact that they're forcing the use of beta software on large, high-stakes tournaments implies the opposite to me, actually (a decent project manager would have fought that decision pretty hard). The rumor that they had the web team work on it doesn't bode well either (no disrespect to webdevs, but you don't get an auto mechanic to replace your furnace, and you don't ask a HVAC tech to pull your engine).

Now, I fully recognize that I don't actually know any particulars about the software or its development beyond what's been posted here on the forums, so take this with huge grains of salt, right there on the rim.

Itzehoe, Germany

May 9-10, 2015

Holstein Center

Info: http://www.moseisleyraumhafen.com/t6003-09-05-15-regional-nord-2015-itzehoe

List Juggler: http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=439

• Winner: Corran Horn + Veteran Instincts + Fire-Control System + R2-D2 + Engine Upgrade; 2x Blue Squadron Pilot + Fire-Control System + Ion Cannon
  • 2nd place: IG-88B + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Sensors + Heavy Laser Cannon + Autothrusters + IG-2000; IG-88C + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Sensors + Heavy Laser Cannon + Autothrusters + IG-2000;
  • Top 4: Whisper + Rebel Captive + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Cloaking Device; 5x Academy Pilot
  • Top 8: Dash Rendar + Push the Limit + Heavy Laser Cannon + Engine Upgrade + Kyle Katarn + Outrider; Corran Horn + Veteran Instincts + Fire-Control System + R2-D2
  • Top 8: Whisper + Intelligence Agent + Fire Control System + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Cloaking Device; 5x Academy Pilot
  • Top 8: IG-88B +Predator + Advanced Sensors +Mangler Cannon + Autothrusters + Feedback Array + IG-2000; IG-88C +Predator + Advanced Sensors +Mangler Cannon + Autothrusters + Feedback Array + IG-2000
  • Top 8: Airen Cracken + Swarm Tactics; Gold Squadron Pilot + Ion Cannon Turret + R3-A2 + BTL-A4; 2x Blue Squadron Pilot + Fire-Control System + Tactician + B-Wing/E2

Wow what a diverse list. I believe Scum will really help open this game up along with Wave 7.

We have a new tournament that we now have List Juggler entries for. We DO have lists for all the players (see "info: " link below), so lets see if we can crowd source entering those Top 16 lists!

Note: some translation might be required for a couple of the lists that don't have squad builder links. Please make sure you get the english upgrades correct for foreign language lists. And make sure that my listings here match what they have, I haven't checked yet.

Itzehoe, Germany

May 9-10, 2015

Holstein Center

So, I count one turret primary. Not bad.

Itzehoe, Germany

May 9-10, 2015

Holstein Center

So, I count one turret primary. Not bad.

And it only finished in the top 8.

Jesus Europe is showing us how it's done :P

Not one han nor chiraneau

If all events were like that I'd have clnothing to complain about :F

Edited by ficklegreendice

They are also the most recent regional results, so it is as much a reflection of how the meta is evolving over time as it is a reflection of different local play.

You sure? I bet you'd find something. ;)

You sure? I bet you'd find something. ;)

well I'll always have green dice ^_^

(at least they're reliable for something <_< )

They are also the most recent regional results, so it is as much a reflection of how the meta is evolving over time as it is a reflection of different local play.

I don't know that you can say which it is more indicative of...it could just as easily be 100% meta evolution/0% local play as it could be 0% meta evolution/100% local play, or anywhere in between.

It is promising at least.

well I'll always have green dice ^_^

(at least they're reliable for something <_< )

There you have me. I keep meaning to melt one of mine down as a warning to the others.

So, wave 0 Tie swarms are still there.

Just buy 4 core sets and you possibly can be a winner :P

I don't understand how FFG seem unable to build a decent tournament app... It seems like a very straight forward piece of software to develop.

*snip for brevity*

Speaking as a fellow software engineer, what you've pointed out basically outlines the difficulties associated with all non-trivial software projects. Therefore, I maintain that it should not be an exceptionally difficult piece of software to create.

*snip for brevity*

Speaking as a fellow software engineer, what you've pointed out basically outlines the difficulties associated with all non-trivial software projects. Therefore, I maintain that it should not be an exceptionally difficult piece of software to create.

That depends if you are in the business of writing software. What is obvious to us may not be obvious to them.

*snip for brevity*

That depends if you are in the business of writing software. What is obvious to us may not be obvious to them.

Indeed. Especially if the comment about their web developer being the one developing the application. There's overlap, sure, but those aren't exactly the same field of development.

*snip for brevity*

We're probably just hashing out semantics at this point, but I see the two bold passages as having a pretty wide gulf between them, mostly filled with standard difficulty projects that will end up being kinda sucky unless the team working on it is pretty sharp. It's easy for software to be kinda sucky.

It's also easy for software that is pretty solid but hasn't had a proper round of beta testing / QA to seem sucky, but improve rapidly with bug reports. I hope that's the case here.

Edited by WickedGrey

Well if you're not in the business of writing software, of course it'll be a hard project. ;)

I'm no plumber and I spend half my time swearing whenever I try to do som plumbing :P

Well if you're not in the business of writing software, of course it'll be a hard project. ;)

I'm no plumber and I spend half my time swearing whenever I try to do som plumbing :P

Not so much for software projects of course.

Edited by GiraffeandZebra

The four most important words in every successful house project are "F@#! it, good enough"

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about that.

It's a piece of software that calculates pairing based on the input of numerical results.

It's not difficult to code. I could do it in Excel if pressed.

UI will be the sticking point, but it doesn't even have to be pretty.

Can the whining about turrets end? Turrets have been inherently part of Star Wars since 1977.

Edited by Darth Ruin

yes turrets have been inherently part of star wars since 1977

the primary turret advantage (i.e, the rule in the game this forum is dedicated to) is a bit more recent than that

I honestly don't understand how people conflate this poorly thought out primary weapon turret advantage with the star wars ip just because the falcon is currently saddled with it. Hell, I don't understand how it can be conflated with the idea of turrets in general (we got 2ndary turrets after all) unless by some hilarious circumstance the current implementation was the only possible way of putting turrets into this game.

Edited by ficklegreendice

It's a piece of software that calculates pairing based on the input of numerical results.

It's not difficult to code. I could do it in Excel if pressed.

UI will be the sticking point, but it doesn't even have to be pretty.

I get misunderstood in text communication sometimes, and in case this is one of those times: nothing in this post is intended as snark or sarcasm.

Consider yourself pressed; it would be of tremendous use to the community.

From posts on these boards, it sounds like KillerArdvark wants to get out of the Cryodex business, and the FFG software isn't there yet. Having something like excel that is very unlikely to crash and lose data with a feature set that TOs need would be huge.

Note that we're not talking about just "sort by tournament points and MoV" but handling repeat opponents and byes and score typos from two rounds ago and drops and 1st round not pairing up people that drove in together and easy-to-print standing sheets and elimination rounds and all of the other features that would make this an actual product, rather than noodling around for an hour with a spreadsheet.

Personally, I think you're underestimating the amount of work under discussion, but I would be delighted to be proven incorrect (and for completeness sake, I'd also be happy to be right, but you have done all that work anyway, because either way we end up with a very useful spreadsheet).

If it could be implemented in something free and cross-platform like Google Sheets, even better.

The four most important words in every successful house project are "F@#! it, good enough"

Believe me, as someone who has worked on videogames (particularly mobile game dev) this is exactly how it goes.