How do you Suck as a Player

By cpteveros, in Only War

In the same vein as the How do You Suck as a GM thread, I want to know how you guys and gals feel about your own playing style. Does it work with your group? Is it fun for everyone? Maybe everyone loves the way you play, but surely there are a few things about it that you feel you could improve on.

In my case, I tend to play snobby, highborn leader-types - even when I am not the de jure leader of the group. As a Confessor, I would often launch into aristocratic and posh speeches about everyone's proper place. This was an element of my character concept, but I found myself issuing orders or telling the sergeant what to do. This annoyed other player's characters, but I know it is a "role" that I tend to fall into again and again. Next character I play I will probably try to branch out more, and play a different background or style.

How about you boys and girls? What do you think, as a players, you don't do well in?

I'm guilty of being incapable of taking off my officer hat. Even when I'm not team leader, I lead.

There are a few things i could improve upon... I'm just not gonna! :P

I'll admit I'm the very last guy you'll want to play a commisar, but since i don't (want to) play a commisar thats not a problem.

Also I'm (one of) the reason(s) our regiment is all heavy recon sentinels, rather than a more conventional leman russ outfit.

Still it's great fun tough.

So far my only war char is pretty normal. Unlike my World Eaters Chaos Sorcerer, my truly creepy Slaaneshi Raptor (BC) and my evil priest with psychic powers (DH2!)

I like playing prickly characters whose outlooks are unusual not just to the table, but also to the other standard PCs in a way that makes sense. Like an Iron Hands apothecary who has a near total disregard for the lives of, and total disdain directed at mortals. He looks at his brothers in the DW as an unreliable obstruction until proven otherwise, and slowly softens towards them. Playing the jerk role in the buddy cop that is Death Watch. I'm not obstructive, it fits the table, and it's not a bad thing at all really.

But characters like that can sometimes be more of a challenge for the rest of the table to RP off of and with. I think that is the only thing anyone has ever commented to me about."He's such a weird jerk, I don't even know what to say to him."

... sounds like a normal Iron Hands to me.

I'm reading the Damnation of Pythos (HH novel) and they are pretty much like that.

As the apothecary, do you constantly insist they must let you replace their limbs with cybernetics, even if it's only a minor flesh wound? :D

Dark Angel: "I'm fine apothecary! 'Tis but a scratch!"

Iron hands: "A scracth? Your arm is off!"

DA: "No it isn't! Hey!"

IH: "It is now. Now let's replace that weak flesh with something better shall we?"

Also they do come across just a bit to happy when they have their limbs blow off:

Reactions to loosing a leg:

Imperial guard: "Aaaaaaaaaaagh! My leg is of!"

Ultra marine: "****, my leg is of! Move forward! I'll provide covering fire!

Space wolves: "Arrr me leg is of! c'mere so i can hit yeh with me leg!"

Iron Hands: "Yes! My leg is of!"

I often end up getting to be the leader, but claim no real talent in the role; just a fear that the others, who are all CONSIDERABLY more silly than I am, would ham it up, and fail. Also, I can only take so much of their acting goofy, and then I want them to immerse into a character who feels "real", when they would rather enjoy playing a game, and not be so serious as their lives demand. I'm not saying they are wrong, but I eventually get tired of putting up with it, as I enjoy story, and flow, rather than goofing, and seeing if the GM will have "serious" NPCs take it out on players who are just trying to vent from their real lives.

Lastly, and this is my worst, I'm a bit of a twink. If I can get my GM to allow it, and I usually can, if they let me write a back story to explain it, I might try to get something needlessly cheesy into my character. It often requires hiding it, and I don't believe I've ever truly abused it, but it involves wasting character space on stuff I can't frequently do, just so I can say "if they really knew who I was..." I've played three separate secret Spellfire wielders in D&D, was a king in exile, with the party having no clue, usually play wizards or Jedi, if allowed, and am not sporting one of the aforementioned cheeses, and got to play a male channeler in Wheel of Time, again, in secret. Even if I won't use it much, and even if I can't tell the players, or their characters, I must frequently have a small snowflake in the character, somewhere. This is also why, on the OW boards, I talk so much about psykers, my likely preferred class, if it was going to be allowed.

That is indeed how I play him Robin. It's a totally normal way to play that sort of character. It's just sometimes if the other players are playing nicer sort of characters, Ultramarines and Blood Angels palling up with PDF survivors and such they're not always sure how to respond IC to him being a jerk. Not really complaining just something we all laugh about and seems to be an occasional challenge to their RPing, if it really was an issue I'd either soften him up or role up the nicest Salamander ever or something. All the same it's the only thing I've had someone comment about that could be read as a negative at all.

I also ask a lot of questions either about scenes or ruling, and I sometimes worry if I might be backseat GMing sometimes. So it's something I pay attention to cause I know I'd hate it, but none of my GMs have visibly bristled or told me anything. Whether I'm doing a good job policing myself, or they're too polite, or we're from the same gaming group so we mostly agree I don't know. All the same that's something I actively think about while playing.

I'm totally a backseat GM ^.-;

I generally propose ideas or plans the system just isn't made for, which forces my GM to houserule on the fly.

Does it even come up at the table (or off it) that your idiosyncrasies as players cause a problem?

I know as a Confessor I have been told to back off a bit and let the Sergeant give the orders; I too like to wear the officer hat and am loathe to shed it.

I can be a bit of a rules lawyer at times. I try to curb this tendency but it does happen! :rolleyes:

I think my focus on the "fluff" is as much a curse as it can be a boon.

The time I spend fleshing out my characters is uniformly received well by GMs, but I tend to be a stickler for a world's background. This is usually not much of a problem in most RPGs because the setting is presented in a uniform way - however, 40k is a bit special in that it features as many different interpretations as there are official products, if not more, and even though they are all equally un/true, there obviously needs to be a consensus and common ground between the players who are part of a group sharing this setting for their game.

I've never received any actual complaints so far, but there is that nagging feeling that my stubborn adherence to a specific set of sources and the occasional remark/suggestion/plea born from their importance to my enjoyment of a game must generate mentally rolled eyes or sighs a la "not again". I can only hope that this is cancelled out by whatever I can bring to the table.