Preventing Units from Dying

By futurewolf, in XCOM: The Board Game

So I haven't been 100% certain about this, but now reading around this forums I think I know the answer. But I haven't seen anything specific to this situation so I thought I'd ask what you guys thought anyways.

There are tech cards that prevent 1 soldier or interceptor from being killed. Always nice, right? But we've been playing that when you roll a loss on the Threat die, you're done rolling. If you prevent a unit's destruction you just save it from going to the recruitment pool.

But then I started thinking about it and thought maybe I was wrong. If you roll a loss but prevent a unit from dying, can you continue pushing with that unit until you roll another loss on the threat die?

Thoughts?

I could be wrong, but I've always played that if the unit survives, that you could still keep rolling.

Nothing in the rules says you have to stop rolling because you rolled a loss. As long as you have units assigned to a task, you have dice to roll.

As far as I can tell when you prevent a unit from dying (going to the recruitment pool) it goes to the reserve instead. Thus, if you're rolling Interceptors, there is nothing assigned so you can't roll further; for missions the soldiers saved can't roll but you could still have a couple soldiers still in the mission (unassigned for the roll) that could now be assigned to continue the fight.

I don't think there is a way to save soldiers assigned to base defence but if my memory fails and there is, it'd work the same as above for missions.

As far as I can tell when you prevent a unit from dying (going to the recruitment pool) it goes to the reserve instead. Thus, if you're rolling Interceptors, there is nothing assigned so you can't roll further; for missions the soldiers saved can't roll but you could still have a couple soldiers still in the mission (unassigned for the roll) that could now be assigned to continue the fight.

I don't think there is a way to save soldiers assigned to base defence but if my memory fails and there is, it'd work the same as above for missions.

Where are you getting that from? AFAIK the only card which does this is UFO Flight - using Revive, or the card which prevents an Interceptor being destroyed (I forget the name) don't say anything about going back to reserve, and there's nothing in the rules about it.

Even without the ability to save soldiers, if you still have some soldiers assigned to Base Defense (or the Mission) that aren't assigned to the task at the time you roll the loss, they won't be killed by that loss, and can carry on the fight.

Once the threat gets to 3-4, it may be worth sending soldiers in one at a time to reduce your losses (if you send in multiple soldiers, there's a chance of rolling more successes than you need, which is why sending one at a time changes the expected outcome)