New style... more than meets the eye?

By silenceindigo, in Cosmic Encounter

The FFG edition of CE seems, graphically, more theme-intensive than the previous versions... Does this suggest a turn towards a more story-focused gameplay, or just a minor design effect?

silenceindigo said:

The FFG edition of CE seems, graphically, more theme-intensive than the previous versions... Does this suggest a turn towards a more story-focused gameplay, or just a minor design effect?

my guess is heavily in the side of the latter.

What does "theme-intensive" mean? And as compared to what other game that is and what other game that is not?

Will there be diffrent themes than in the prvious version of this game or is it based on the same?

My previous comment was ment to be a little sarcastic. There is no "theme" in Cosmic Encounter unlike Arkham Horror. Cosmic's appeal is less about the visual trappings of the game and more about its mechanics and the interaction between the players. There is no plot or over arching narative and even with tech reserach (should be a fun mechanic) its not Masters of Orion.

I just did not understand the question and thought the poster should have given a bit more explanation.

Well, the rulebook does actually give a short background story that isn't too bad. At least, I certainly could imagine nothing better for Cosmic Encounter, which is absolutely not a story-driven game.

So I take it that CE has no thematic per see, more like chess than Arkham Horror for example? That's the meaning of my question; is there a thematic ambience in play or could the aliens be cows or (yikes) even farmers ... I'm not fond of Euro themeless games in general. I like to feel immersion.

They could easily be cows and there be no interruption in game play-- much like Simpson's chess is still chess. It is not immersive like Arkham and the only theme provided is the flavor txt on each alien card. Cosmic is not a Euro game mainly because direct competition and elimination of opponents is the mechanic and not winning by resource managment or tile placement.

silenceindigo said:

I like to feel immersion.