Party Encounter with Lieutenant in Town (RTL)

By sammwon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Usually when party encounter Lieutenant in path, overlord will draw an encounter card and proceed if the party is ambush or not, but what happen if the party encounter Lieutenant in one of the town? Do the Overlord draw a random encounter card or Dungeon card?

On my session, I just put a 8 by 8 grid board and place random people tiles and market tiles so it would seem the party is battling the Lieutenant and his minions in the middle of the market.

sammwon said:

Usually when party encounter Lieutenant in path, overlord will draw an encounter card and proceed if the party is ambush or not, but what happen if the party encounter Lieutenant in one of the town? Do the Overlord draw a random encounter card or Dungeon card?

On my session, I just put a 8 by 8 grid board and place random people tiles and market tiles so it would seem the party is battling the Lieutenant and his minions in the middle of the market.

An encounter at a town is the same as any other encounter. It is not actually in the town itself, but somewhere close by.
If the heroes are attacking the Lt they must go find it in it's nearby camp. If the Lt attacks the heroes it has presumably challenged them and, being heroes, they can't exactly refuse the challenge in front of the populace can they, so they go out to meet the Lt.
The Lt is never 'in' the town either - it is either outside seiging it or has already razed it to the ground and there is no longer any 'town' as such.

You should draw a random encounter location.

BTW, there are no ambushes in Lt encounters
RtL pg16
There is no ambush check for encounters involving lieutenants; such encounters are always set up in non-ambush circumstances.

Of course, that does not preclude the use of the Treachery card Ambush.

I see... so when the party attacks the Lieutanent, does the Lieutanent starts off in the area, and the party coming in from the outside?

It is no different from any other lieutenant encounter, even when fighting at a city on the Terrinoth map.

Though some map tiles that look like city streets would be **** cool, especially if there was an outer wall and a large gate for the Lt to knockin.

Big Remy said:

Though some map tiles that look like city streets would be **** cool, especially if there was an outer wall and a large gate for the Lt to knockin.

+1