Anyone else painting the gaming pieces?

By Lord Oleber, in Chaos in the Old World

Hello All,

First post on this forum! I picked up Chaos in the Old World a couple of days ago and have been really pleased with it. The design ethic used is fantastic and the game play is equally as great. I was particularly pleased with the miniatures and the level of detail on them. so much so that I’ve started to paint them. I'm not the world’s best photographer so apologies for the quality... should be finished all 45 by the weekend. I'll try and get better pictures too...

Congrats to FFG on such a game.

Daemonette P9080678.jpg

P9080685.jpg P9080687.jpg

P9080690.jpg P9080693.jpg

That is looking awesome. Can't wait to see how your Greater Daemons turn out.

I thought about painting them, but a bunch of my cultists are broke, so I figured I wouldn't waste my time.

Good looking warriors ! Did you start from black base ?

Those are absolutely gorgeous! Well done! I am going to get to painting mine once we get a few games under our belts (just got it today). However if I find out our gaming day for playing it falls through I may get them painted for the next gaming night. Again you've done a gorgeous job on those! You will have to take some pics of the pieces on the board painted cause it will make for quite the dynamic looking set up.

I considered this but I was worried how well the plastic would take the paint - clearly you got it to hold well enough - was it just with a basic undercoat or did you prep them any other way?

Hi folks, Thanks for the encouraging feedback. The process continues...

The models were prep'd by giving them a wash in lukewarm soapy water. This gets rid of any releasing agent from the mould. The detail in some areas is quite thin compared to other models so I decided not to chance a sprayed undercoat. I went instead with two thin coast of a base color. I used P3 color and GW metallic paints which I thinned with Vallejo medium (though any thinner would have done.)

Varnishing them is crucial if they’re going to be used so I applied 2 coats of varnish. Firstly gloss because it’s harder and last longer and then matte because I hate glossy minis.