What makes it a "living" card game?

By Hawknight, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

I almost bought Arkam Horror instead of Descent, what makes this card game good? I LOVE HP Lovecraft and am really looking at getting this.

its 'living' cause they are still making new cards for it. but the standard for card games is new random booster packs, which this game isnt getting anymore. so while there isnt any new booster boxes, the game is still infact alive and well.

hope that explains it somewhat.

What makes the game good is the veriety it offers. With most Card Games being faction specific CoC offers you A little bit more. If you want to play faction specific you can, nothing is stopping you. But, there is no penalty for mixing Factions. All cards are freely interchangeable. That for me is where the challenge lies. Finding a sick combo or deck strategy using all of the cards is really rewarding.

Another thing is you can build your deck as a theme. If I want to play all monster cards and related cards I can. If I want to support one of the lesser neutral Gods, Nyalathotep for me, I can work on a deck specifically geared to getting that card out and wrecking my opponent.

As far as what is "Living" Well I chose to say that "Living" is constantly growing and evolving. CoC is doing just that with Monthly releases of mini sets called asylum packs. Normally for a ccg you have to wait 3-4 months for a new set to come out and then you have to drop 120$ for 1 booster box and it is impossible to get a playset of everything from that set. CoC has cut that down dramatically. Yes, over the same course in time you will spend the same amount of money, 30$ x 4months =120$ But you are GUARANTEED a playset.

I hope this helps.

I would say that it is "Living" because the packs that come out are going to follow tight story arcs. Over six months, the 20 new unique cards (10 "rare" and 3x10 "commons") will feature a segment of a story, thus the setting is constantly updating and changing.

I wouldn't really categorize this as "collectable", since there is no randomness to the card appearance. And really only two rarity levels: one-per-pack and three-per-pack. It is collectable (not in quotations) in that people like to get every expansion for games they enjoy. But that is a different use of the word from the first "C" in CCG. ;-)

So it's like most CCGs except the pack's arn't randomised? and not being randomized makes them alive?

Omnicrazzy said:

So it's like most CCGs except the pack's arn't randomised? and not being randomized makes them alive?

Well, I think they wanted to clarify that it was not a CCG as it is not collectible in that sense. But it still has cards released for it on a regular basis, so the game is evolving and alive.

Well ok, that makes sense then. I mean, more than it did before. Thanks for your help.