Sea of Blood: is it still "fantasy"?

By TheHunterBoy, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

The upcoming Sea of Blood looks awesome: new landscapes, (ghost) ships, bloodsquid and sharks, far islands, new dungeons and rumors, new avatars, new Lieutenants......but........I fear it loses the "fantasy feeling" of the whole game system.

The "Pirates theme" is always charming, but it seems a quite too far from the previous "fantasy-dungeon" setting....

Is it only my suggestion?

I'm not quite sure about it either. Dragons and Ogres on islands....? Mayhaps with a bit of new monsters for an own pirate setting...but then again it wouldn't be Descent, right? I'm curious to see how it'll work out in the end.

There are plenty of Dungeon-genre games that incorporate ships, voyages on the high seas, and pirates. And let's not forget that the Odyssey was set around a sea voyage.

This seems to follow R.A. Salvator's book settings.

Conan!

Dragons, pirates and burty women -all accounted for!

Man, people will complain about anything lol.

Nah, I think it'll be fine. There's plenty of awesome fantasy stuff with boats and pirates. The thing that this expansion reminds me of the most is the old cartoon "Pirates of Darkwater" which was AWESOME and very fantasy-ish. I think it'll be a good mix, and if you think it's too much of a deviation I guess just play regular RTL instead.

Just be glad it's pirates and boats which is still very much fantasy-ish instead of crashed UFO's, aliens and robots like they did in the last Runebound expansion. Ergh.

The only thing that seems strange to me it's the way Captain Bones is dressed up! He looks like a Caribbean Pirate...!

I mean....yeah, it's "fantasy" ...but that "ancient-age" feeling (something like "Conan era", or Lord of the Rings world) is a quite far now.

Except for this aspect, Sea of Blood looks simply awesome!

TheHunterBoy said:

The only thing that seems strange to me it's the way Captain Bones is dressed up! He looks like a Caribbean Pirate...!

I mean....yeah, it's "fantasy" ...but that "ancient-age" feeling (something like "Conan era", or Lord of the Rings world) is a quite far now.

Except for this aspect, Sea of Blood looks simply awesome!

Maybe...but I seem to remember a pirate fleet coming to destroy Gondor in LotRs.

Yeah the corsairs from Umbar have an important role in middle earth history, and I have read a number of other fantasy stories that feature pirates and it can work quite well.

The problem here isn't the fact that there are pirates, but that they look like XVII century pirates (at least, cpt Bones does) and so they look a bit anachronistic in the medieval setting of the game. Pirates are fine in a medieval fantasy setting; pirates with bicorne hat, royal navy jacket, sabre, parrot and all those other cliches look a little out of place. lengua.gif Anyway, in a setting like that of Descent I think this is just a minor detail.

If you look at D&D illistrations of Pirates, they look like the pirates from the 1700's. So don't dish the art, cause in Dungeons and Dragons they mix a whole lot of stuff so I don't see Descent doing anything different.

Yes, in fact I think that D&D also looks weird when that kind of pirate shows up. gui%C3%B1o.gif