Sea of Blood FAQ now up

By Callistan, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

FFG has posted 'liviing' FAQ for Sea of Blood. A bit of new information in there.

Just saw that. Excellent that some of our speculations were confirmed :)

- No land-based encounters, only out on the sea.
- Swimming for land-based monsters to move on sea encounters
- Only Rumors and Dungeons can be integrated from RtL (but does that mean SoB Rumors/Dungeons can be in RtL campaigns too?)
- No RtL Avatars and Lieutenants (I wonder why?)
- Can't wait to read more about the "streamline" campaign rules. Says skills, leveling disparity, and rumors have been tweaked.

Excited, yes :)

-shnar

... and don't foregt the confirmed appearance of the infamous Blood Squid - even if only in token form.

Callistan said:

... and don't foregt the confirmed appearance of the infamous Blood Squid - even if only in token form.

Forget token form, look at the illustration at the bottom! Blood squid can apparently get very big, at least in their salt water variety.

Despite the answer that you can't combine RtL and SoB...I'm going to try and do it anyways.

I still get a nasty taste in my mouth from all this... Feels like they are abandoning RtL a little.

I really do hope that they will streamline the advanced campaign rules in such a way that it will help RtL's balance issues a little too. I have put a lot of time and money into that game! If they don't than I hope Big Remy can come up with a nice way to integrate everything.

Scy800 said:

I still get a nasty taste in my mouth from all this... Feels like they are abandoning RtL a little.

I really do hope that they will streamline the advanced campaign rules in such a way that it will help RtL's balance issues a little too. I have put a lot of time and money into that game! If they don't than I hope Big Remy can come up with a nice way to integrate everything.

I don't know if they'll specifically cite RtL in the SoB rulebook, but hopefully most or all of that streamlining they're talking about will also be able to be extended to RtL. Also, I hope all future expansions will have some nice additions for both campaign settings.

Eh, unless they do a "card-only" expansion (similar to Arkham Horror's Curse of the Dark Pharoh/King in Yellow/Black Goat of the Woods) then you won't see any kind of expansion specific to RtL/SoB. My guess is any and every "Advanced Campaign" expansion will be a stand-alone box, not requiring any of the previous campaign expansions. It will have it's own overland map, it's own set of dungoens/avatars/lieutenants/encounters/etc. *Some* things will be compatible with previous campaigns, but most won't. And personally, I like it this way.

The Advanced Campaign is really a game in and of itself. Expanding that is tricky at best, except more-of-the-same (hence the card-only expansions). I'd much rather have alternative campaigns to play, not just more-of-the-same, so kudos to Kevin and FFG! Keep the campaign love coming!!! :)

-shnar

Yea, I understand that they would be stand alone, and that's great, it's just great when they spend a bit of extra time to have some extra goodies available to people who have purchased more than 1 expansion, with neat ways of combining the awesome parts of one expansion with the awesome parts of another. Might work better as extra downloadable content off the website, if not as mini expansions like in Arkham Horror, with perhaps some other quests/dungeon levels that involve props/traps/obstacles from multiple expansions.

shnar said:

Eh, unless they do a "card-only" expansion (similar to Arkham Horror's Curse of the Dark Pharoh/King in Yellow/Black Goat of the Woods) then you won't see any kind of expansion specific to RtL/SoB. My guess is any and every "Advanced Campaign" expansion will be a stand-alone box, not requiring any of the previous campaign expansions. It will have it's own overland map, it's own set of dungoens/avatars/lieutenants/encounters/etc. *Some* things will be compatible with previous campaigns, but most won't. And personally, I like it this way.

The Advanced Campaign is really a game in and of itself. Expanding that is tricky at best, except more-of-the-same (hence the card-only expansions). I'd much rather have alternative campaigns to play, not just more-of-the-same, so kudos to Kevin and FFG! Keep the campaign love coming!!! :)

-shnar

+1

On the subject of there now being two separate campaign expansions....What happens when they release a non-campaign expansion...like Tomb of Ice for example, it was just a simple expansion for the base game but it also included cards for Road to Legend (rumors, dungeons, outdoor encounters)

When they release another expansion similar to ToI, will it include extra stuff for both RtL AND SoB? Outdoor and water encounters??

Just a thought I had...only time will tell what happens :)

I dislike the idea of all these stand alone expansions very much, and I am doubting more and more if I want to buy new ones. I want expansions to integrate more. I buy an expansion with all these great parts, and the next expansion just ignores the previous one and gives me more new stuff. I want to keep seeing rolling boulders and lave tiles in dungeons. RtL gave us what... two rumours with the props from the WoD and AoD expansions? And they were just filled with props form those expansions just for the sake of it. Was disappointed by that.There is so much more you could do with the stuff we have from the previous expansions. Just imagine in a couple of years that we have 4 campaign settings with completely different settings, tokens and all that stuff. A storage nightmare too btw...

Jonny WS said:

On the subject of there now being two separate campaign expansions....What happens when they release a non-campaign expansion...like Tomb of Ice for example, it was just a simple expansion for the base game but it also included cards for Road to Legend (rumors, dungeons, outdoor encounters)

When they release another expansion similar to ToI, will it include extra stuff for both RtL AND SoB? Outdoor and water encounters??

Just a thought I had...only time will tell what happens :)

Ironically enough, the Advanced Campaign components of ToI are going to be usable in SoB. The only thing they included was a few more dungeons and a rumor, all of which can be integrated into SoB. And of course the non-campaign-specific stuff can always be included (i.e. heroes, monsters, feats, skills (if it had any), etc).

I think RtL did a good job at indicating which expansion was needed for a given dungeon (i.e. the symbols on the cards), so there are dungeons that use previous expansions, even if the game is playable without said expansions. And of course, you've got the compendiums that will use all expansions :)

-shnar

shnar said:

And of course, you've got the compendiums that will use all expansions :)

-shnar

and are full of major errors as we heard lengua.gif

I originally thought I would not like RtL or SoB, but I notice they have random dungeon decks (kinda like Warhammer Quest) so I can see how they actually greatly expand the game by giving you tons of replay value.

I'd like them to continue to make standard expansions though because those add enemies, and dungeon pieces. Hopefully a desert expansion with ancient tombs is next! (to match sands expansion for Runebound).

Marián Dzurilla said:

hmmm my eyes was captivated by picture on bottom, because ...

first mention about this kind of "monster" was btw. published in introduction Raise the Sails ( http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=753 ) but, now its seems to be not only " ... err cracking. " but real Kraken gran_risa.gif ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraken ). Nice pictures, all.

thanx all of FFG for this faq

my prediction was correct ... Kraken become's to reality
And, if this kind monster has separate ( removable jaws alike as hydras heads) then it will be really strong monster forex. Every of jaws with own health ( not total counted for monster ) makes number of attacks equal number of jaws.

My guess is that there will be multiple markers for the Kracken, all moving independant of each other (to represent its massive size). We'll probably have tentacle markers, jaw/teeth markers, etc.

This is really sounding cool! Can't wait for Christmas :)

-shnar