Rules Question: Using Glyphs

By Kard2, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

We've been playing the game such that if a hero enters town via a certain glyph, the hero may then exit via any other glyph in the dungeon, rather than just the same one he entered by. It seems reasonable, but I wanted to ask if this was the case.

We just recently played one of the scenarios and I had been playing the hero that allowed glyphs to be activated from a distance of 6 squares, and by stroke of coincidence, when another hero opened the door, to a new area, the glyph was perfectly 6 squares away (through a wall, since the ability does not claim to require line of sight), and it activated while the melee type just happened to be in town, and returned through that glyph in the middle of the monsters in the area, cutting their ranks down from behind. Seems like this is an excellent tactic for the situations it can be used, but wanted to know if it was a universally accepted "rule" that glyphs were not "exclusive".

Kard said:

We've been playing the game such that if a hero enters town via a certain glyph, the hero may then exit via any other glyph in the dungeon, rather than just the same one he entered by. It seems reasonable, but I wanted to ask if this was the case.

We just recently played one of the scenarios and I had been playing the hero that allowed glyphs to be activated from a distance of 6 squares, and by stroke of coincidence, when another hero opened the door, to a new area, the glyph was perfectly 6 squares away (through a wall, since the ability does not claim to require line of sight), and it activated while the melee type just happened to be in town, and returned through that glyph in the middle of the monsters in the area, cutting their ranks down from behind. Seems like this is an excellent tactic for the situations it can be used, but wanted to know if it was a universally accepted "rule" that glyphs were not "exclusive".

You have it right. The can enter via any activated glyph. The only restriction to be aware of is that a hero can only use one glyph per turn. So no going to into a glyph, going to town and coming back out through a glyph in the same turn.

That is correct. The only restriction is you can't go to town and return on the same turn (keeps players from "glyph-hopping", sprinting all over the map).

-shnar

Big Remy said:

Kard said:

You have it right. The can enter via any activated glyph. The only restriction to be aware of is that a hero can only use one glyph per turn. So no going to into a glyph, going to town and coming back out through a glyph in the same turn.

+1

The only thing I would add is that I don't think you can count Runewitch Astarra's ability through a wall. The reason being that there is a blank area (even if it is very thin) between the spaces on either side of the wall (they are not adjacent). So from space to space is not '1 space of the six', it is '1 space of the six and some extra'. The extra is not part of her ability. I believe that if you cannot count 6 spaces, adjacent space to adjacent space, then her ability is not operative.
I do accept her ability working through doors though (as long as the other area has been revealed), as the spaces on either side of a door are adjacent and have no 'extra' between them.

I think he meant "around" the wall, not "through" them. I.e. Astera didn't have LOS to the glyph, but counting the legal spaces between her and the glyph was 6, even though it went north 2 squares, west another 4 squares, etc...

-shnar

shnar said:

I think he meant "around" the wall, not "through" them. I.e. Astera didn't have LOS to the glyph, but counting the legal spaces between her and the glyph was 6, even though it went north 2 squares, west another 4 squares, etc...

-shnar

Yes, that would have been fine.

Around a wall can also be described as through a wall. cool.gif