Spider Queen Avatar

By mordak5, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Playing with the Spider Queen, and we have done 1 Dungeon (2 Levels heros bailed on the 3rd) and 2 Encounters.

OL total xp 13

Heros xp 14

I started with the "come into my lair card" for my starting xp, and bought focus 5xp to discard 4 cards, and 3xp for the card that lets you pick 3 locations and encounters, an pick the best.

was wondering if its better to upgrade to silver creatures, or get more Lt's for faster razing of cities? any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks

I would upgrade a creature class first, since it will do you the most good in dungeons. Next I'd get a LT.

mordak5 said:

Playing with the Spider Queen, and we have done 1 Dungeon (2 Levels heros bailed on the 3rd) and 2 Encounters.

OL total xp 13

Heros xp 14

I started with the "come into my lair card" for my starting xp, and bought focus 5xp to discard 4 cards, and 3xp for the card that lets you pick 3 locations and encounters, an pick the best.

was wondering if its better to upgrade to silver creatures, or get more Lt's for faster razing of cities? any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks

mordak5 said:

OL total xp 13

Heros xp 14

I'd say upgraded to Silver has more bang for the buck than another LT- not only helps out in dungeons but also with LT encounters. Personally, I would have chosed Merrick F. over focus for 5 XP. Of course, the heroes should be "wise" to the strategy of not letting the OL get to 25 xp quickly so Merrick may be more useful in the short term in terms of sieges. If you think you can get 11 XP during the heroes next dungeon, go for Silver.

I thought you're not allowed to buy lts with your initial XP?

I like to get the lieutenants firsts, since the longer you have the lieutenants the more value they serve. The same can be said for silver Eldritch, but the lueutenants can siege and get you more CP per turn which essentially buys their cost back the sooner you can raze a city.

This is especially true of the Ascension plot.

However, if I were to get too close to 25 CP early on I'd probably wait for silver Eldritch, as this is overly powerful and could get you a lot more conquest in dungeons.

IMO all other upgrades must wait until you get this (save the free 15 you get at the beginning).

I bought Come into my palour upgrade with the starting XP.

I never thought of saving the starting xp, I could have afforded the silver creature upgrade buy now if I had, that a good idea, having said that having dark charm and crushing block available at the start of the dungeon did kill 2 heroes = 6xp so I have to say thats been worth it, handy to keep back for once a heros a bit injured.

Will see how the next dungeon goes if near to silver upgrade will do that if not a 2nd LT, could be good, heros can't be in 2 places at once after all.

you can't save the starting XP (pg. 8 in the rulebook).

mordak5 said:

I bought Come into my palour upgrade with the starting XP.

I never thought of saving the starting xp, I could have afforded the silver creature upgrade buy now if I had, that a good idea, having said that having dark charm and crushing block available at the start of the dungeon did kill 2 heroes = 6xp so I have to say thats been worth it, handy to keep back for once a heros a bit injured.

Will see how the next dungeon goes if near to silver upgrade will do that if not a 2nd LT, could be good, heros can't be in 2 places at once after all.

The 15 Starting XP doesn't carry over at all into the game.. .it's use or lose. The OL starts the game with 0XP just like the heroes. Just making sure you weren't referring to that (text above in bold)

Yeah was confused by another answer. I had spent the starting 15xp, but another reply made me think I could have saved it, wasn't thinking. gui%C3%B1o.gif

mordak5 said:

Yeah was confused by another answer. I had spent the starting 15xp, but another reply made me think I could have saved it, wasn't thinking. gui%C3%B1o.gif

By "Save the free 15 you get at the beginning" the word "save" was meant as a fancy "except".

Hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

Yeah I figured that out once I reread the post happy.gif