Time Length of a Game

By Hawknight, in Battlestar Galactica

How long does a game usually take? I am in the market for a few new games and have been asking about the time legnth of most other board games as well. What makes it go longer? and what makes it go faster?

I'd say on average the game lasts anywhere from an hour and a half to three hours, assuming there's not a runaway Cylon victory.

If the cards are against you, the game can be over in like a half hour.

Our first game took 4 hours, but we were learning as we went. Based on my experience, Melonball's estimation of 1.5 to 3 hours looks reasonable to me.

I've played 16 or so games. All of the 4 player games have been 2 - 2.5 hours. The 5-6 player games have been 3-4 hours. Let me point out that none of these game SEEMED to take a long time; we were enjoying every minute. Things I've noticed which make the game take longer: lots of discussion over who might really be a cylon (everyone really getting "in" to the characters, and acting out), and having cylons in certain key offices. For example, if the Admiral is a Cylon, he will frequently pick short distance destination cards. This increases the number of jumps needed to reach the sleeper agent phase and end game.

What makes it go more quickly? The cylons getting most of the humans in the brig. In one memorable game, this led to every single cylon ship being on the board at one time. No, the humans didn't win.

TK