New preview: Sea of Blood!

By shnar, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

SamVimes said:

If the News update applies only to those map locations (which would make sense as there are only 10 and convienently 10 cards) then I'd be cool with that. If it applies to all the dungeons (which admittedly makes no sense) then I'm not too thrilled about that.

Side note, looking at the map there are 6 yellow locations with a big X on them and dashed trails leading from them. Overlord locations maybe? They aren't named, so I presume the OL can pick which he likes.

C'mon man, know your pirate movies. A dashed line going to an X on map ALWAYS means buried treasure.

Big Remy said:

C'mon man, know your pirate movies. A dashed line going to an X on map ALWAYS means buried treasure.

I'm guessing those are locations for rumors. I'd say the dark blue circles (like the one east of "Midnight Cove") are the legendary dungeons.

It is interesting to note that there are no difficultly markings for the overland routes. So no land encounters. Only sea encounters.

Which makes sense for FFG, since then they would have had to provide all the outdoor tiles all over again.

I know once I get my copy of SoB, I'll start working on trying to integrate RtL and SoB as much as possible for a larger experience. First step will be adding overland encounters to those land trails.

if you do successfully merge the two, please share how you do it. I'd like to incoporate them also.

My guess is the dungeons on land are handled just like RtL, i.e. 3 levels as normal. Look at the red "anchors" out at sea. I think those are the "dungeons" on little islands at sea, and that's where you use this short-map (which acts as teh first level of the dungeon).

-shnar

In the preview they talked about two dungeon levels plus the surface.

Correct, but is that for ALL dungeons? Or just the dungeons that use this new island map? My guess is that the island map is only used on those red-anchor "dungeons". The land-locked dungeons will probably be like RtL, i.e. 3 "normal" levels.

-shnar

shnar said:

Correct, but is that for ALL dungeons? Or just the dungeons that use this new island map? My guess is that the island map is only used on those red-anchor "dungeons". The land-locked dungeons will probably be like RtL, i.e. 3 "normal" levels.

-shnar

Correct. And because there was a bit of confusion I saw about it, RtL and SoB dungeon levels and rumors are interchangeable.

KevinW said:

shnar said:

-shnar

Correct. And because there was a bit of confusion I saw about it, RtL and SoB dungeon levels and rumors are interchangeable.

Outstanding!

Yeah, think so too. Everything else doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

Yay! Love it when you chime in and put to bed some of our speculations! :)

MORE! We want more! ;)

I case you can't tell, /some/ of us are rather excited for this expansion. Tell me though, is there any hope for a vanilla Descent expansion that features sea-creatures and sea-themed heroes? Also, just out of curiosity, how good has the business been for FFG on Descent expansions? There's a bunch, and they aren't the cheapest games. Do they sell well?

-shnar

Seeing as probably close to 90% of the people on this board have all the expansions, I would think they are selling fine happy.gif

Big Remy said:

Seeing as probably close to 90% of the people on this board have all the expansions, I would think they are selling fine happy.gif

I think the fact that the distributors keep running out and they have to be reprinted as a better indicator that they are selling fairly well.