THE HOBBIT : worth acquiring for kids?

By silenceindigo, in The Lord of the Rings: The Board Game

Sorry but I couldn't find a better forum to post for this game ....

Is the game THE HOBBIT worth acquiring for playing with kids, from your experience? I'm considering it as a Christmas present for kids under 10... I've read the BBG analysis* but I'm looking for second opinions, especially reguarding language dependency for the kids (we're French-speaking).

*http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/148914

I haven't played this game.

I'd suggest posting to the Geek, not just reading (maybe you already did both?). People there are pretty awesome about answering such questions.

Yes, I must say that the hobbits is more for kids. because you must sing too ! gran_risa.gif

If i remember right, you get many questions on cards that you must answer and you must collects gems or something..

it's too long that i have play the game. ( actually i have play the game once...

For adults its a pretty rubbish game.

For kids it's good fun. They like the colourful glass gems, the art etc. My 7 year old is pretty bored with it now and prefers Beowulf. But when my youngest gets a bit older I'm sure he'll love it.

I have two boys, ages 8 and 6. I played it once with them. They seem to have liked it ok, but haven't asked to play again. A few of the cards ask questions that can only be answered if one has read the book, so I just skipped those for the kids.

My kids love it. I have a 7 yr old boys, and 9 and 11 yr old girls. My nine yr old likes it the best. I think 7-12 is probably the best, younger if they're good readers). It's engaging enough for parents to play WITH kids, but I can't imagine playing with adults only.

It is a roll and move game, but there is plenty of decision-making and occasional memorization. It's very well made, and the art is beautiful. Granted, it's never the first game they ask to take out of the closet, but none of them have ever turned down an opportunity to play. I think it's greatest strengths are the fact that it can be played with or without parents, and it's shorter than an hour.