What is Kingsburg similar to?

By guest530780, in Kingsburg

If you had to compare this to other games, what would it be similar to in terms of mechanics and depth of gameplay?

I'm always looking for games that can be played by less avid gamers and I haven't seen much about Kingsburg to get a handle on it.

Seems like a euro with dice. Easy for Settlers players, Carc, or Ticket to Ride fans to get into?

Because of the building and resources aspect, I'd say it was closest to Settlers.

Torbal said:

If you had to compare this to other games, what would it be similar to in terms of mechanics and depth of gameplay?

I'm always looking for games that can be played by less avid gamers and I haven't seen much about Kingsburg to get a handle on it.

Seems like a euro with dice. Easy for Settlers players, Carc, or Ticket to Ride fans to get into?

It was designed with exactly that target group of players in mind.

It could be half a step up compared to TtR (but not more than Settlers) so less avid gamers normally like it and grasp it quickly.

Have fun

I've put it on my wishlist for now. Thanks for the answers thus far!

It is kind of like a worker placement game, but more random than most of the others like Pillars or Agricola.

Kingsburg is realy sort of a crazy addon to To Court The King, from it draws its' main theme and mechanism.

you can look it up here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/21632

It's basically a mix between tCtK and Settlers.

Wow. I can't believe nobody's said this yet.

But when I first played the game it was strikingly obvious that this game was a blend between Puerto Rico and Citadels ( also Agricola, but that was already said). Due to its "pick a class every round and recieve its benefits" gameplay, this game is a remarkable resemblence to those three in how it plays out. Sure, there are some unique intricacies thrown in for good measure, but at its core this game does nothing those others haven't done (and, if I might say, mastered ) before.

Though I can see some comparison to Settlers of Catan due to the "gain some amount of random resources every round for which to spend on VPs" mechanic, I am shocked by the comparisons to Ticket to Ride . How is it similar to Ticket to Ride exactly? I see nothing but extreme abstractions in their similarities.

Jayrome007 said:

Wow. I can't believe nobody's said this yet.

But when I first played the game it was strikingly obvious that this game was a blend between Puerto Rico and Citadels ( also Agricola, but that was already said). Due to its "pick a class every round and recieve its benefits" gameplay, this game is a remarkable resemblence to those three in how it plays out. Sure, there are some unique intricacies thrown in for good measure, but at its core this game does nothing those others haven't done (and, if I might say, mastered ) before.

Though I can see some comparison to Settlers of Catan due to the "gain some amount of random resources every round for which to spend on VPs" mechanic, I am shocked by the comparisons to Ticket to Ride . How is it similar to Ticket to Ride exactly? I see nothing but extreme abstractions in their similarities.

Being the main game designer, I would suppose my word counts on this subject.

I never meant Kingsburg is similar to TtR in mechanics, it's similar in weight. I trust you to understand the difference.

I can somehow see, and I am kinda honored by, the comparison to Citadels (an absolute masterpiece that I love). It will likely even become greater with the expansion, where you do really pick a role.

If we are talking about game mechanics, Kgsbrg has several similarities with a card game (being Citadels, after all, a card game): you are dealt a hand of cards - in this case dice rolls - and you have to get the best out of it.

But the comparison with Puerto Rico (not that I haven't read this before) always lets me kinda stunned. Ok, both games have buildings with different powers. So, what? They may appear similar to a first "neglectful" glance, since in both there are buildings with different costs and powers. But even my old PC Warcraft videogame had "buildings with different costs and powers". My old Amiga Civilization videogame had that, not to mention Master of Magic. It's a fairly common idea. And those two last videogames are much more similar to Kingsburg (well, Kingsburg is similar to them) than PR. Otherwise, we would have to say that Carcassonne is similar to Tigris & Euphratis, since in both games you draw tiles and place them close to each other, etc...

andreac said:

similarities.

Being the main game designer, I would suppose my word counts on this subject.

I never meant Kingsburg is similar to TtR in mechanics, it's similar in weight. I trust you to understand the difference.

I can somehow see, and I am kinda honored by, the comparison to Citadels (an absolute masterpiece that I love). It will likely even become greater with the expansion, where you do really pick a role.

If we are talking about game mechanics, Kgsbrg has several similarities with a card game (being Citadels, after all, a card game): you are dealt a hand of cards - in this case dice rolls - and you have to get the best out of it.

But the comparison with Puerto Rico (not that I haven't read this before) always lets me kinda stunned. Ok, both games have buildings with different powers. So, what? They may appear similar to a first "neglectful" glance, since in both there are buildings with different costs and powers. But even my old PC Warcraft videogame had "buildings with different costs and powers". My old Amiga Civilization videogame had that, not to mention Master of Magic. It's a fairly common idea. And those two last videogames are much more similar to Kingsburg (well, Kingsburg is similar to them) than PR. Otherwise, we would have to say that Carcassonne is similar to Tigris & Euphratis, since in both games you draw tiles and place them close to each other, etc...

Great to hear from the designer here on the FFG forum on this!

This is looking more like a (hopeful) Christmas gift this year.

Torbal said:

Great to hear from the designer here on the FFG forum on this!

This is looking more like a (hopeful) Christmas gift this year.

The "base" game, consider it as a gateway game.

With the expansion, it becomes more a gamers game (leaving out the Fate cards).

Hope you'll receive it as a gift, or at least will have a try.

Playful regards :)

gonna add this one to my X-MAS list as well! gran_risa.gif

In a strange way, the dice splitting in Kingsburg reminds me of Can't Stop. Of course, the game as a whole doesn't have much in common with it.

Well I personnally couldn't wait for christmas (cosmic incursion, frostmarch... its already full) ; so when I discovered this game with the java version (thanks to the fan guy who made it by the way ; really good) well... I bought it today :) but gee I wanted the FtR exp with it already, and all I could find was a double priced version from USA. So I'll wait for the normal priced version in France, Germany or UK.

Cheers, and a big bravo to the designer and his collegues. Hope my family and friends will enjoy it this christmas.

First "real concrete" game yesterday evening : I confirm, this game "is similar to nothing", and is great. My woman already adopted it. She loves it ! Thank you, great board game.

Hmm....I really don't see the comparison to TtR or even PR. But I can see the comparison to Citadels (which I absolutely love). Of the games I own, Kingsburg is one of my favorites. And the expansion makes it even better. It can really change the game, making it more of a gamers game, as was mentioned earlier. The base game though is definitely a good gateway game. And yes, the Java copy of Kingsburg is awesome!!