little question about the flooding rule

By BigYogi, in Red November

hi,

one little question:

in the manual is written:

>>>>
Reflow Water
When a hatch is opened, water may flow between the two rooms it connects. This takes no additional time.
If one of the rooms connected by the opened hatch contains a High Water token, and the other room has no Flood token at all, water equalizes between the two rooms. Replace the High Water token with a Low Water token, and add a Low Water token to the room with no Flood token.
<<<<

so....what will you do in this case: your gnome is located in a room with low water and you open a hatch to a room with high water. what will happen? we played it this way: both rooms have then low water tokens on it.

bye,
BigYogi

BigYogi said:

so....what will you do in this case: your gnome is located in a room with low water and you open a hatch to a room with high water. what will happen? we played it this way: both rooms have then low water tokens on it.

I agree with that.

BigYogi said:

hi,

one little question:

>>>>
Reflow Water
When a hatch is opened, water may flow between the two rooms it connects. This takes no additional time.
If one of the rooms connected by the opened hatch contains a High Water token, and the other room has no Flood token at all, water equalizes between the two rooms. Replace the High Water token with a Low Water token, and add a Low Water token to the room with no Flood token.
<<<<

bye,
BigYogi

Nothing happens. The water level changes only when there's a difference of 2 between the two roomes - high water in one and low water in the other becomes low water in both. When opening a hatch between low water and no water, or between high water and low water, nothing happens.

BTW, I just posted a FAQ on my website : http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=mesjeux&id=566&fichier=540

bruno faidutti said:

BigYogi said:

hi,

one little question:

>>>>
Reflow Water
<<<<

bye,
BigYogi

Nothing happens. The water level changes only when there's a difference of 2 between the two roomes - high water in one and low water in the other becomes low water in both. When opening a hatch between low water and no water, or between high water and low water, nothing happens.

BTW, I just posted a FAQ on my website : http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=mesjeux&id=566&fichier=540

thanks for your FAQ's, thy help a lot :)

bruno faidutti said:

BigYogi said:

hi,

one little question:

>>>>
Reflow Water
<<<<

bye,
BigYogi

thanks for your FAQ's, they help a lot :)

Second the thaks for the FAQ. It pretty much answered most of the questions that came up during the first few games of play.

I am surprised by the answer. I would have thought that the high water went to low, but since the room to flow into already has a token, they would both be low, but re-reading the rules, I see why it would stay Hi/Low, instead of going to Low/Low.

Going low/low would make the game far too easy, as there would never be any danger of flooding unless, between turns, all hatches out of your room got blocked.

As I understand the rules, you aren't allowed to enter a room with high water. If the room, your gnome is in, already has a low water mark, a reflow cannot happen, therefore it would be an illegal move to open that hatch.

I guess there is no problem opening the hatch, but it does nothing to help - you cannot go throught, but may quite well move out of the room using other hatches or perform the action... opening the hatch to high-flooded room you just waste one minute

You have to pump water out with your "Water Pump" item first then reflow rule will do the rest>>>>>

Originally I assumed if you were in a low flooded room and wanted to go into a high flooded room you would first have to pump your current room. After re-reading the rules again, I think another option might be available:

If in a low flooded room, you could enter a high flooded room (at additional movement cost) and nothing would happen, since the water would only equalize only if the room you entered from had no flood token ... but then open another hatch leading to a room with no flood token in order to equalize.

Sound good?

I had some questions regarding the end-of-the-board play. I know that you can't move the ghost marker beyond the "Rescue!" space, and the rules are clear that disaster markers don't get played if they come out beyond the "Rescue!" space, but as far as getting drunk, I take it the rule doesn't apply and you use the "Rescue!" space in place of "... moves the Ghost Time Keeper forward 10 additional spaces" (so that there is still a delay to getting drunk).

I was also a bit surprised about the immediate death of the drunken Gnome upon being in a room that gets a fire or flood. It seems like to me that if the other gnomes are taking care of the fires and floods without the turn circling back to the fainted gnome that he can manage, but I guess it states it pretty clearly in the rules. Oh well, guess that drunken gnome in my game croaked after all... maybe there should be a slight corollary that if a fire and flood happen in the same room as you play out the events during the update ON THAT GNOME'S TURN that he can survive. Just a thought.