Dark Charm Vs Dodge

By mordak5, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

As overlord I used Dark Charm against a Hero and made him attack himself. He had a dodge action, but we decided that as Dark Charm is a trap he could not dodge and attack from himself on himself. but I thought we'd better check for the next time to make sure that was right.

I say yes, he can dodge. It's an attack after all, and it makes sense thematically. Someone with Dodge has an eye on his surroundings, surely he will also have an edge over someone who hasn't if a party member goes crazy.

From the FAQ, page 5:

Q: When the overlord is controlling a hero through “Dark Charm,” who decides how to spend the surges and power dice? Can the overlord move the character and attack, or just make a single attack without moving? What if the Dark Charmed character has an Aim or Dodge order? Who decides whether defensive abilities such as shields and Ghost Armor are used?
A: The overlord controls the hero for that attack, including the hero’s use of surges and power dice. The overlord may also play cards such as “Aim” with the attack. However, the overlord player cannot move the character, or force the hero to spend fatigue to add to the attack. The overlord may not force the character to use any orders. The hero retains control of any of her defensive options such as shields or Ghost Armor.

Looks to me like the hero can dodge her own attack.

Antistone said:

From the FAQ, page 5:

Q: When the overlord is controlling a hero through “Dark Charm,” who decides how to spend the surges and power dice? Can the overlord move the character and attack, or just make a single attack without moving? What if the Dark Charmed character has an Aim or Dodge order? Who decides whether defensive abilities such as shields and Ghost Armor are used?
A: The overlord controls the hero for that attack, including the hero’s use of surges and power dice. The overlord may also play cards such as “Aim” with the attack. However, the overlord player cannot move the character, or force the hero to spend fatigue to add to the attack. The overlord may not force the character to use any orders. The hero retains control of any of her defensive options such as shields or Ghost Armor.

Looks to me like the hero can dodge her own attack.

+1. Note it says the OL can't force the character to use any orders, but doesn't say that Dark Charm prevents the usage of orders.

I thought that as he OL controlled the player, he could actually decide to dodge or not.

Might be to the OL advantage to dodge get a better roll, make a change from the hero dodging to get a worse roll happy.gif

Seriously though as the card say the OL controls the hero, so no dodge we thought.

mordak5 said:

Seriously though as the card say the OL controls the hero, so no dodge we thought.

So I take it you chose not to read any of the other replies before you posted...

no read them all, and will allow the hero to dodge next time, was just talking about why we didn't the first time