Interested in the Game

By player653301, in UFS General Discussion

Hey,

I'm interested in playing the game, obviously, as I've checked out the how to play video and various other articles about the game. It seems a fresh and refreshing game, and would be a nice change of pace from Tournament Magic. Note that at this present stage I'm definitely more interested in the game as a casual player, and have actually been put off by a couple of posts made in this forum about the current state of fun tournament wise. Nevertheless, I'm still quite intrigued by the game, at the core it looks like a lot of fun. This leads to a few questions:

• First off, what would be the best way to start playing? Ideally I'm looking at dragging a friend into it, so a cheap option would be great.
  • When it comes to fighting games I'm a big fan of Guilty Gear, are there any plans for any Guilty Gear goodness in the future? I'd love to play as someone like Jam, Potemkin or Faust.
  • Probably the biggest problem, I live in Perth, WA. Now, I've never run across this game in Australia, and was wondering as to availability? Or would it be a better idea to perhaps order online?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, I'd like to say that casual play for this game is extremely fun. Our meta in part of the UK only really stated playing competetively recently, and that was a good 2 years or so after the game had been released. I think that the best thing to do first, would be to grab a few friends who have played the computer games in the past (so as to be more interested by the game itself) as opposed to just the one, otherwise you'll most likely find that you'll be playing the same person all the time. Now this isn't a bad thing at all if you really enjoy playing that person, but a group of people is always nice, and groups invite bigger groups, you know? :)

With regards to actually acquiring the material, I think going to your nearest CCG sellers and suggesting they stock it would be a good start, especially if they have an area to play cards in, like a lot of those kind of shops do. This'd make it so that people can see you playing it and (hopefully) enjoying it, so they might become interested too. I've made loads of friends by playing this game, and I haven't had the time to play UFS so often recently due to work etc and still speak to them a lot, so its worth it :) I'd reassure the shop you're buying it from that it'll sell though (maybe split a box of starters/boosters between your group so that they know it'll go somewhere) otherwise they might not be so keen on stocking it. If that fails, buy it online. Coolstuffinc is a pretty popular place as far as I can tell (never actually bought UFS online, so am not entirely sure where the best places to get them are). Starter decks are a good place to start. All 4 of the Street Fighter Domination set starters are very playable as opposed to certain sets of starter decks and are pretty fun to play with too (especially Akuma on my part :D )

Don't think Guilty Gears on the line at the moment, but there are supposedly new licenses being announced over the course of the year, so it's certainly a possibility, would pay to play Johnny, thats for sure :) But yeah, if you get into UFS, let me know, it's always good to have people to talk to about it, rules and all that jazz. Hope I helped get me some brownie points angel.gif

1) picking up some domination or cutting edge starter decks would be a good place to start. I like the Sakura, Mai and Akuma decks for new players.

2) Unfortunately no. at least as of now. hopefully they'll aquire the liscence in the future as I'd love to have Dizzy and Chip Zanuff in UFS.

3) I'd first check to see if there are any stores in your traveling radius. if there aren't any close enough then going the online route isn't a bad idea.

Hope you enjoy the game.

pick up the akuma or mai starter decks, the're the best! one of the great things about this game is its incredibly cheap and you can build a decent deck with a starter and a couple of boosters. hope you have fun playing. if i'm ever in australia i will play a game of ufs with you.

Best thing to do is to go to your store and ask if there distributor if they can order ufs usually they can if not let me know and I will try to help you out man .

IIRC Guilty Gear's company wasn't negotiating with a TCG liscence. However, they recently switched to another company of ownership and there was consideration within FFG to attempt to contact them I think... could just be rumours though.

Yeah, just grab two starters. here is my schedual of UFS play

1.) ACK SOO MANY NUMBERS!
2.) Oh ok, I can see how things are working together, sweet!
3.) Oh man, I found this super aweomse I kill you real quick combo / I take no damage and lock you down combo
4.) I have found a way to do both super awesome kill and defense together in one efficient package.

Do not assume that things are fair for all resources and all approaches. There are some things that some decks cannot deal with, and not all strategies and ideas are equally approachable in multiple ways (E Honda reversal deck. COULD be strong, but will likely fall to several other decks most of the time).

Don't pogeon hole yourself in to one deck and don't go out buying tons of singles for 'your killer deck' without consulting someone a little more knowledgeable first, as chances are you might be buying something so niche and fragile you'll get rolled by something very very basic.

But through it all have fun losing! My group of 4-12 have a good time getting their butts whooped by two guys here over and over again (me and another dude) but dn't mind cause we're nice and usually play things that they COULD beat (and the only reason they never beat us is because they hardly try / spend more than 2 booster packs a week / don't spend much time thinking about what we're doing and what they could do nex week to combat it... though two of them are getting much better... I'm starting to sweet).

Game on. And pleae, DO, eat something other than Mc Donalds (as in, play something other than MtG :) )

Seeing how everyone already answered the majority of your questions, i'll just throw in my two cents. Honestly i love this game. Its tons of fun and has so many possibilities. the thing you always have to remember is to have fun no matter what. Don't worry about winning and just focus on the fun. Now specifically i think it is a great idea to grab a couple friends and getting them interested with you. In my opinion the more people you have the less money you spend on cards. I take that back.... you'll spend just as much but if you are sharing with 4 other people each of which buying the same amount as you, you have a larger pool of cards to play with. So groups are wonderful. When you first start out you'll end up reading every card you can ten times over and still not understand exactly whats going on but the more you play you'll find yourself just memorizing what cards do without even having to see the card.

Overall you'll learn to love and hate this game just like every other game. Never forget the real golden rule of UFS..... HAVE FUN!

also always remember the first time you beat someone who is beter than you with some noob deck, don't be like me and celabrate it for the rest of the day.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies, have helped a lot. I've checked the store in Perth most likely to have the game and they don't, in fact it appears that FFG don't even export the game to Aus. So that leaves me with internet sales. Obviously I need a site which will ship to Aus, although I'll continue looking around Perth in hope. I'm still determined to play this game.

Regards.

go with coolstuff. they sell boxes for nothing.