Sea of Blood "announced"

By edroz, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

The Sea of Blood expansion was officially announced on the news section of the site. See www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

Not a whole lot of details. In fact, probably less info then was available from the GenCon reports.

So how many "avatars" and how many "lieutenants" were there for RtL? I thought there were ten lieutenants?

If they are separate, does this mean there will be more figures for RtL and eight for Sea of Blood?

Please explain the difference between avatars and lieutenants?

------------------------------

"four new avatars for the dread Overlord to manifest, along with four new lieutenants that will plague the heroes as they attempt to foil the nefarious schemes being put into motion."

The avatar is a physical representation of the Overlord himself; at the end of the campaign the heroes actually fight him. During the campaign, the Overlord purchases lieutenants to run around the board causing havoc.

Reading the FFG news it seems that we'll have SEVEN new Lts and FOUR new Avatar.

There will be 220 cards and (I hope so) some fantastic marine monsters such as the Kraken....

Well, actually I thougt that we could have a little bit more Lts (10) and at least 6 Avatars.....btw, I CAN'T WAIT TO GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gran_risa.gif

Frog said:

So how many "avatars" and how many "lieutenants" were there for RtL? I thought there were ten lieutenants?

If they are separate, does this mean there will be more figures for RtL and eight for Sea of Blood?

There are 6 Avatars and 10 lieutenants in RtL. Of the lieutenants, 3 are "standard", available to any avatar, and 7 are "special", available only to a single Avatar.

As for the minis, there are 7 lieutenant minis available now, with the third wave (with 3 minis) supposedly available in "September" according to the FFG GenCon report. There has been no word on Sea of Blood lieutenant minis. One might assume that if the RtL ones are selling well enough then FFG would produce minis for Sea of Blood.

Frog said:

Please explain the difference between avatars and lieutenants?

------------------------------

"four new avatars for the dread Overlord to manifest, along with four new lieutenants that will plague the heroes as they attempt to foil the nefarious schemes being put into motion."

From the Rtl Rules:

The Avatar
The overlord, while still a powerful otherworldly creature capable of controlling his forces mentally, also has a physical form – his Avatar – in the Advanced Campaign. The heroes can seek out and kill this creature, and if they do, they win the campaign.

The Avatar’s form is variable; it might be that of a demon, a dragon, or several other options. Each option brings with it some basic abilities, as well as access to other, more powerful abilities, that can be purchased over the course of the Advanced Campaign. The overlord player chooses his Avatar’s form at the beginning of the Advanced Campaign, which is then fixed for its duration.

Lieutenants
Lieutenants are exceptionally powerful monsters that the overlord can move around the Terrinoth map to collect valuable items and lay siege to cities. Lieutenants can even attack the heroes directly, although this is dangerous, because a slain lieutenant is lost to the overlord forever.

TheHunterBoy said:

Reading the FFG news it seems that we'll have SEVEN new Lts and FOUR new Avatar.

There will be 220 cards and (I hope so) some fantastic marine monsters such as the Kraken....

Well, actually I thougt that we could have a little bit more Lts (10) and at least 6 Avatars.....btw, I CAN'T WAIT TO GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gran_risa.gif

So are they gonna sell avatars also? This is getting epically ridiculous!

It may actually be cheaper to buy Warhammer Quest off Ebay than one RtL or Sea of Blood Expansions with all it's "sold seperately" miniatures!

rofl

Seriously, they should quit this and pack in plastic minis of these guys. I am getting turned off this game really quick.

Frog said:

It may actually be cheaper to buy Warhammer Quest off Ebay than one RtL or Sea of Blood Expansions with all it's "sold seperately" miniatures!

rofl

Seriously, they should quit this and pack in plastic minis of these guys. I am getting turned off this game really quick.

What? No one ever said anything about avatar minis. Where did you read that? No one would buy a special mini for a single battle that may or may not happen. If and when the avatar battle happens you just use a mini that is the same as the avatar's form (i.e. Sorcerer for Sorcerer King, Demon for Demon Lord, etc)

So this is an expansion just for RtL or are some elements for use with the base game too?

Frog said:

TheHunterBoy said:

gran_risa.gif

rofl

Yes, but warhammer quest does not even provide all the level one miniatures, let alone the thousands in miniatures you would spend getting levels 2- 10 filled. It's way cheaper to properly outfit a set of Descent with RtL and SoB and full minis than anything close to a complete set of WQ.

Nyogtha said:

So this is an expansion just for RtL or are some elements for use with the base game too?

This is an expansion LIKE RtL. In other words, it's another Advanced Campaign expansion. You do not need RtL to play SoB (yes, it's SoB) but the two can be merged (i.e. the dungeons can be mixed, the Lieutenants and Avatars, etc). There are specific SoB encounters that will not work in RtL, mainly the Boat and Short encounters.

I wish I could find it, but BGG is down right now. Someone posted up some detailed photos of what they had on display at GenCon and it looks really cool. Instead of overland encounters, you have a boat that you play on, traveling between islands.

The only thing this expansion is missing is Sea Monsters and Sailor-like Heroes, but I expect the next vanilla Descent Expansion will be a Sea-Monster one :)

-shnar

That was it, thanks for the link :)

I *love* what I'm seeing so far with this expansion and can't wait to pick it up :)

And I am looking forward to a sea-based expansion ;)

-shnar

Thanks for clearing that for me, cheers.

Every demo table had a special mat on it that indicated what game was being played there. I think it's just a decoration they use at trade shows.

The "poster" mat is the thing pictured at the bottom of :

http://www.thegelatinouscube.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/gencon-004.jpg

It's also shown on the back of the box:

http://www.thegelatinouscube.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/gencon-022.jpg

It's that seashore playing area with white lines through it. Not sure if it's for Encounters or for specific Dungeons. Looking at how the overland map is a bunch of islands connected by boat lines, my guess is that some "dungeons" might be played out on these seashores. Maybe it's those "X Marks The Spot" locations?

Either way, this looks like a REALLY cool alternative to the Advanced Campaign and I can't wait to get my grubby hands on it! :D

-shnar

I guess I'll just skip buying all the minis for RtL and SoB. Maybe just buy one of the coolest for each expansion. They have cardboard tokens for these guys anyway right? Something like a familiar?

Frog said:

I guess I'll just skip buying all the minis for RtL and SoB. Maybe just buy one of the coolest for each expansion. They have cardboard tokens for these guys anyway right? Something like a familiar?

Yeah. They are cool, and I can understand wanting them. If they had sold them as a pack and they were plastic instead of metal, I would have been more excited to buy them.

Interesting. The map layout is exactly like the one given in RuneBound: The Isle of Dread expansion. I guess this means we can maybe look forward to a desert themed Descent expansion as well.

I am REALLY REALLY REALLY excited for this! Cannot wait for more Descent expansions!

That would be very cool. I think there will be a lot more Descent expansions coming out over the next while. I love all the things that FF does with the game, but it is getting hard to explain so many purchases to my wife. ;)

Nevron said:

Interesting. The map layout is exactly like the one given in RuneBound: The Isle of Dread expansion. I guess this means we can maybe look forward to a desert themed Descent expansion as well.

I was very excited when I heard Sea of Blood announced. I own all the expansions of Descent and I can't get enough. I'm just about half way through painting the figures and I'd love to have even more to paint.

That's where my excitement ends. It turns out that Sea of Blood is a Road to Legend-like expansion. I don't play RtL. I don't enjoy it. So as SoB is just another RtL and doesn't even have figures, I won't be buying it.

That really disappoints me too. ToI was great! Let's have another expansion of that type and caliber.

Scottwick said:

I was very excited when I heard Sea of Blood announced. I own all the expansions of Descent and I can't get enough. I'm just about half way through painting the figures and I'd love to have even more to paint.

That's where my excitement ends. It turns out that Sea of Blood is a Road to Legend-like expansion. I don't play RtL. I don't enjoy it. So as SoB is just another RtL and doesn't even have figures, I won't be buying it.

That really disappoints me too. ToI was great! Let's have another expansion of that type and caliber.

I agree with this, and as usual, I'm going to get myself two copies of this expansion.

Yup, thats right... I like having extra copies of the rules, extra dice, extra miniatures (for exchanging when some are out for painting).

Extra copies of the cards is also nice, when I do my evil plotting and planing as an overlord and I won't pack up the game :)

NoNamium said:

Scottwick said:

I agree with this, and as usual, I'm going to get myself two copies of this expansion.

Yup, thats right... I like having extra copies of the rules, extra dice, extra miniatures (for exchanging when some are out for painting).

Extra copies of the cards is also nice, when I do my evil plotting and planing as an overlord and I won't pack up the game :)

Maybe I should read the whole thing through before quoting ;)

I love RTL, this will hopefully be the best expansion to date, and I'm not much one for playing Vanilla.

Scottwick said:

Don't sweat it! If you don't like RtL/SoB, don't buy it. There is *nothing* in these games that adds to Vanilla Descent. They mainly alter how Descent is played. But you /should/ be excited for this, since it means there will be yet another Vanilla Descent Expansion, like Tomb of Ice, that will feature a lot of sea-based monsters!

And wasn't AoD a Desert Themed expansion? At least the Heroes were all arabic and the like...

-shnar