The careers question

By ragnar63, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

In trying to puzzle out the low number of possible starting careers, even if you buy both the Core rules and the Adventurers pack, a few thoughts and reasons have come to mind. Allowing for 2-4 race specific careers per non human race, and at least 1/3 advanced careers, then you are looking at around 15-20 starting careers available to everybody. This is obviously not a lot, so lets look at the possibilities: 1. There are a lot of generic careers covering 3-5 of the old careers each. Possible, but if the Ratcatcher is in the Adventurers Pack, that seems a little unlikely in most cases 2. There is speculation that the whole tone may be going less broadranging than Version 2, and considering that all the Dwarves now come from one Hold, this makes me think that the proposed Campaign Pack may be set in a small but detailed area, close to or in the Grey Mountains. Therefore many careers can be left out for the moment, particularly those to do with the sea or the big city etc, such as seaman, marine, mate, navigator, sea captain, barber-surgeon, courtier etc, I am sure you get the drift. It may be that the careers may be a little more combat orientated to start with. Admittedly a bit of a problem if you want to start your campaign in Marienburg. I have little problem with the second possibility though, how the Elves fit into this, I am not sure. From the Warhammer books I am of the impression that the Wood Elves of Athel Loren rarely leave there, and the chance of finding an High Elf that far from 'civilisation' is less than getting a halfling to renounce pie during Pie Week. This is all speculation, butI hope it may help the debate. Roll on publication.

Until we see the starting careers list, we wont know. So far all we know is it included Envoy, Troll Slayer, Coachman and probably Apprentice Wizard. While it does not have Rat Catcher, Wardancer and Sword Master.

The impression I'm getting is that the default 'starting' setting will be Altdorf and the surrounding area.

macd21 said:

The impression I'm getting is that the default 'starting' setting will be Altdorf and the surrounding area.

ragnar63 said:

macd21 said:

I hope not, as that number of careers around Altdorf, would mean that they would have to be horribly generic, or horribly inadequate. I have noticed, on the Character sheet, that as well as current career, there is current rank. This suggests a system not dissimilar to Dark Heresy, though how that fits with what else we know or have been quoted, I am not sure, particularly as there must be limited space on the back of the career cards.

At a guess I'd say that rank might be the number of careers a PC has gone through. You might be a ratcatcher, but if you've been a watchman and a fisherman already then you'd be rank 3. I've heard nothing to back that up however.

macd21 said:

ragnar63 said:

macd21 said:

I hope not, as that number of careers around Altdorf, would mean that they would have to be horribly generic, or horribly inadequate. I have noticed, on the Character sheet, that as well as current career, there is current rank. This suggests a system not dissimilar to Dark Heresy, though how that fits with what else we know or have been quoted, I am not sure, particularly as there must be limited space on the back of the career cards.

At a guess I'd say that rank might be the number of careers a PC has gone through. You might be a ratcatcher, but if you've been a watchman and a fisherman already then you'd be rank 3. I've heard nothing to back that up however.

Seems from Jays diary that we will have, soldiers, thugs, zealots, dilletantes,apprentice wizards, agitators and something called 'commoners'. Maybe I am reading too much into what he has written, but it might be that some careers have been amalgamated into more generic careers such as 'soldier' and 'commoner' and others have stayed individual? I am still very worried about the low number of careers, as the setting seems to be the Storm of Chaos between 2521 and 2522. If the players are encouraged to roam around the Empire, during the Storm of Chaos, then there is no way that well over a hundred careers usable in the Empire in V2, plus new Elven and Dwarf careers can be condensed down into 30 or 40 careers in V3. Some definitive answers on careers, career progression, and how they are going to be published, needs to be made, as this subject does seem to bother quite a number of people.

Reading the developer's diary I would say those are mainly categories, not actual names for careers (save for the apprentice wizard, that, for the low number of starting career, will much likely be a career per-se) so I think we'll see amalgamation of careers, but let's hope it will be done in a logc way...

Asalways, until we get a career list we cannot be sure about anything concerning this... :(