A few questions for a newbie

By kingsoyboy, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

1. what is the cards in your hand limit??

2. Where it says "Note that more than one player may play the same house and agenda. My question is there is only 1 card for each house and I only count 1 agenda with the game. Am I missing something here?

3. When it talks about only having one unique card in play (that is the the cards that have a banner icon) I've noticed that the example given on page 10 shows 2 unique cards in play and othe examples i've read also have more then one unique card in play. Again am I missing something here?

4. the plot card "Power of Blood" says you may have up to 2 copies of this card in your plot deck. I only see 1 card in the game, where is the 2nd??

1) infinite. but you can only draw three cards a turn outside of your 'natural draw' during the draw phase

2) yes, the fact that you can play someone with their own core set who likes the same house as you. ;) also if you have more then one core set you could have a 4 player game with only 2 of the 4 houses if you wanted. Also, there are 2 agenda's right now with more to come.

3) you can have as many unigue cards in play as you want, but only one copy of any one specific uinigue card. i.e. You can only have one eddard stark in play one your side (not couninting duplicates atatched to save him) but you could have him with arya, robb and sansa all at once.

4) in you second copy of the core set. While the fixed deck in the core set only utilizes one copy, if you made your own deck with multiple core sets or chapters packs (or singles, etc.) you could have 2 in your plot deck if you wanted.

Perhaps what you are missing is that while the game can be played with the decks in the Core Set box "as is" quite nicely, the decks themselves are meant to be customized, either by mixing in additional copies of the Core Set or with the "Chapter Pack" supplements that are available. You can supplement the decks or tear them apart and build your own from scratch if the mood strikes you.

thanks for your reply, I have played alot of boardgames but never a card game like this. So I'm justing getting used to the rules. I will probably have more stupid questions soon. Thanks again and KEEP ON GAMING.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Even those of us who have been playing for years have questions, and make mistakes. It's all a learning curve, and our community is more than happy to help out the new players.

JerusalemJones said:

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Thats what i tell the students I work with....and then a few minutes later....up pops a stupid question.

JerusalemJones said:

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Even those of us who have been playing for years have questions, and make mistakes. It's all a learning curve, and our community is more than happy to help out the new players.

In that case, let me ask my own quick, newbie question: what happens to attachments on a character when that character is killed or discarded? Do they always go to the discard pile, or do they go to the dead pile if the attaching character was killed? The rule book is surprisingly quiet in this regard, unless I overlooked something.

Also, a LCG strategy question: are the banner cards even worth playing in the LCG format? It's hard for me to guage, having just entered the game, whether they are a mechanic that's only half-functional and a remnant of the old format, or whether they're actually viable in the LCG realm. The same question applies to the Epic Battles.

Thanks for any insight.

attachments always go to the discard pile when their attached charcater leaves play.

The banners and Epic battles were introduced in the chapter packs. There are not half or fully realized yet as they are mostly a utility theme that you can build into your deck but do nt have a lot of outside synergy with.

The bara banner is probably the most used (imgaine vigilant on Core set bobby, thats a ton of power a turn) and i've put some epic battles in when i have non-kneeling(or vigliant) characters on attack as i can sneak an extra challenge in.

That is a really good question about Banners and Epic Battles.

Both the Banner cards and the Epic Battle cards have only ever appeared in the Chapter Packs, so they are NOT remnants of the old format (the way Kingdom locations and Military Battle/Intrigue Gambit/Power Struggle plots are at the present time). Everything that was ever available for those mechanics are available in the LCG format. However, the mechanics started their design life with the old format in mind and were part of the transition from the old CCG-style non-fixed format to the new LCG fixed format. So it's hard to know if, as mechanics, they are half-functional in the LCG format. Honestly, neither mechanic has made much of an impact on the larger play environment yet.

History lesson aside, my personal opinion is that these two mechanics are no less functional in the LCG format than in the CCG format. However, there aren't a lot of cards that work with or support either mechanic. At this point in time, I feel like both of them (Banner more than Epic) are kind of half-formed. There are some interesting things you can do with them, but I'm not sure I'm ready to build a deck specifically around either one yet. To me, they're more "Easter Egg" mechanics than strategic foci right now. It will be interesting to see if the mechanics continue to get support in such a way that they can more readily become the strategic focus of decks. I do use the Epic Battle mechanic in my LCG-Baratheon deck, though, where it works quite nicely as a draw engine. And Vigilant is such a powerful mechanic that I think someone is likely to build a very strong LCG-Baratheon deck that uses the Banner cards, too.

Hawknight said:

JerusalemJones said:

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Thats what i tell the students I work with....and then a few minutes later....up pops a stupid question.

I always preferred the thought "there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people."