District 9

By Kennon, in 8. AGoT Off Topic

So, who's seen it? I'm surprised to not see any discussion here. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, even though South African Accents kinda make my skin crawl.

Kennon said:

So, who's seen it? I'm surprised to not see any discussion here. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, even though South African Accents kinda make my skin crawl.

Is it the whole post-apartheid thing? Makes your skin crawl?

Hmm.... noooo............. I wouldn't say that's it. More that it sounds like and yet unlike the accents of the English language that my ear is trained to recognize.

It was a pretty decent movie. It wasn't nearly as good as some of the reviews I read made it out to be, but I enjoyed it.

It's hard to talk about without giving away too much. Also, any discussions about the actual plot sound much sillier than how it actually plays out.

My gang all thoroughly enjoyed it. Very well done, especially for $30MM. I felt tense for much of the movie as I couldn't really tell what direction they were going to go with it. Maybe the studios are feeling dumb now for not letting Blomkamp and Jackson make the Halo movie, heh.

One of the best movies I saw all summer. I liked that they took the time to tell a story, not just non-stop action (hello G.I. Joe -- but I enjoyed that too as a popcorn movie).