The Riddling Reaver for WFRP

By robin.dwyerhickey, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

I'm pretty sure the old WFRP forum is dying, so I'll post this here. I'm adapting the Fighting Fantasy Roleplaying Game Adventure 'The Riddling Reaver' to WFRP 2nd edition. To be honest, as my players rolled up their characters and assigned talents, I thought, "Huh - you know what, it'd be useful to have a card to remind me my character has the Sharpshooter or Sixth Sense talent.' " Interesting ...

I'm setting it in Araby and I have this half-baked notion that the Reaver will be a servant of Handrich. So far we've got a black, female sartosan pirate (currently researching Jamaican slang), a male halfling pit fighter (halfling pit-fighting is popular in Araby, apparently - to be played by my four-year-old son), a female dilletante and a male raconteur.

So, comments welcome - especially if you have some experience of The Riddling Reaver.

Ye Ancient One said:

I'm pretty sure the old WFRP forum is dying, so I'll post this here. I'm adapting the Fighting Fantasy Roleplaying Game Adventure 'The Riddling Reaver' to WFRP 2nd edition. To be honest, as my players rolled up their characters and assigned talents, I thought, "Huh - you know what, it'd be useful to have a card to remind me my character has the Sharpshooter or Sixth Sense talent.' " Interesting ...

I'm setting it in Araby and I have this half-baked notion that the Reaver will be a servant of Handrich. So far we've got a black, female sartosan pirate (currently researching Jamaican slang), a male halfling pit fighter (halfling pit-fighting is popular in Araby, apparently - to be played by my four-year-old son), a female dilletante and a male raconteur.

So, comments welcome - especially if you have some experience of The Riddling Reaver.

I'd have the Reaver be a servant of Tzeentch. The messed up, crazy mess that is his lair would, I think, fit more than Handrich.

I'd be tempted to go down the "Predictable" route and make him a servant of Tzeentch personally, I think it will be easier later on to explain some of the "chaotic" things like the Replicant skeletal servants and other bits and bobs that crop up later in the mission. The big problem with this is that everything is "Chaos" in warhammer and the players expect it.

The first couple of parts of the mission will be pretty straight forward. If yoru players are new then the tower will be a nice intro to the rules and ideas. Later on when they go to the Reavers lair things might get a bit hairy, but I think it will work well with the WFRP route.

As for setting it in Araby, thats not a bad idea. Obviously starting near the coast will be handy for the first part of the plot and arabyan magic means you can always have that mystic tattoo parlour for the chance for some unstealable magic items. I always loved those.

I'm going by memory since its been well over 10 years since I last read the book but I think it will be a good adventure.

Am I the only one who thinks the Riddling Reaver fits perfectly with Ranald (God of Thieves, Tricksters and Luck) as a patron god.

Tzeentch could fit him and many of the things he does but as mentioned above everything in Warhammer is "Chaos" so it's nice for a villan not to be chaotic. It might be a nice twist if the Pendulum of Fate was actually a Tzeentchian Artifact and if the Riddling Reaver does destroy it perhaps he destroys a part of Tzeentch himself. Giving the Players the dilema of stopping a tragedy today vs. weakening Tzeentch for all time.

An idea would be to give the Reaver a large number of Fate and Fortune Points that he can be seen to use.

Foolishboy said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Riddling Reaver fits perfectly with Ranald (God of Thieves, Tricksters and Luck) as a patron god.

Tzeentch could fit him and many of the things he does but as mentioned above everything in Warhammer is "Chaos" so it's nice for a villan not to be chaotic. It might be a nice twist if the Pendulum of Fate was actually a Tzeentchian Artifact and if the Riddling Reaver does destroy it perhaps he destroys a part of Tzeentch himself. Giving the Players the dilema of stopping a tragedy today vs. weakening Tzeentch for all time.

An idea would be to give the Reaver a large number of Fate and Fortune Points that he can be seen to use.

Ranald fits his supposed masters (Fate and Luck), but his MO and nature are closer to chaos. I think that when converting from one to the other it should be accepted that the Trickster gods from the Riddling Reaver are essentially the chaos gods of that setting. The Reaver character seems much more like a servant of chaos than Ranald.