Monsters + Paint = Painted Monsters?

By Hawknight, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Here are a couple of mine, not done many of these yet but some of my other painted games can be seen on my website: www.tiannastarfall.co.uk

Mad Carthos

Bogran the shadow

Seen some nice work in this thread, like the Beastmen Slev and am always impressed when I see yours Roberious, also liked to see how someone went about the re-basing I have heard lots of talk about.

Tianna, yours look great as well, I like your style of painting, clean. I do a lot of inks and drybrushing, gives them that dirty look.

Roberious

TiannaStarfall said:

the Beastmen Slev

I'm not that ugly!

:P

Nice job on the heroes though.

Its the crazy snake lady with the master dragon (Darth Tinklebottom) who got hijacked by some sneaky kobalds. We don't negociate with kobalds.

IMG_3633.jpg

Great stuff guys! I had some time and took some pics of the Tomb of Ice stuff I finished up so I will get them up sometime tomorrow.

Here are my critters for Tomb of Ice. Enjoy!

Shades.jpg

Medusae.jpg

LavaBeetles.jpg

Wendigo.jpg

IceWyrm.jpg

very nice!

I think you just beat everyone here in 1337 painting skills!

Slev said:

very nice!

I think you just beat everyone here in 1337 painting skills!

Wow! Thanks for the comments Slev but I wouldn't go that far there is still some great work on these boards and everyone should be proud of what they have done. Here is a question: Do most find that with painted minis it makes your game that much better when you play?

I always seem to end up playing this sort of game with at least one person with dodgy eyesight. Shape is insufficient for them to distinguish figure type. Painted figures are a godsend in this regard.

Regardless of that, it become infinately more visual a draw with painted figures, and the same can be said of any boardgame. I'll be at Winter StabCon this weekend, which is usually where my more "pimped" games really do recieve a lot of attention.

Since I'm still off work, some more photos. Next up will be the Heroes and misc shots, probably in the new year:

Re-shoot of the Kobolds
Kobolds3.jpg

Re-shoot of the Naga
naga3.jpg
Naga4.jpg

Wendigo
Wendigo.jpg

Trolls
Trolls1.jpg
Troll2.jpg

Skeletons
Skeletons1.jpg
Skeletons2.jpg

Shades
Shades1.jpg
Shades3.jpg

Ogres
Ogre1.jpg
Ogre2.jpg

Manticores
Manticore1.jpg
Manticore2.jpg

Medusae
Madusae.jpg

Lava Beatles
LavaBeatle1.jpg
LavaBeatle2.jpg

Ice Wyrms
IceWyrm1.jpg
IceWyrm2.jpg

Golems
Golem1.jpg
Golem2.jpg

Giants
Giant1.jpg
Giant2.jpg

Dragon
Dragons1.jpg
Dragons2.jpg
Dragons3.jpg

Demons
Demons1.jpg
Demons2.jpg

Chaos Beasts
ChaosBeasts1.jpg
ChaosBeats2.jpg

Very nice!

I'm not sure if I can muster the energy for painting the Descent minis after completing the Doom ones, but this thread here sure does make it tempting!

I think you could do it Haslo. I mean Doom was the game that got me to start painting boardgame mini's in the first place! The biggest hurdle is the main game. But once your over that and you get caught up it actually is pretty easy to stay on top of it. I have to say that painted minis do add a great amount to a game of Descent when you can see the critters and the heroes in glorious technicolour! :P I think the mini's for these games are really well done sculpts and with a decent paint job it really brings that forward and adds even more to the theme and to the game.

Bumping this thread so others who are interested in sharing images of their painted pieces have a place to post them.

if you want to bring out some details you can go with a wash which will add some depyh and bring out details... it will also dull the enamels a bit so they dont look so plasticky...

I haven't painted many of the monsters, just a few individual pieces that caught my fancy so far. I'm too slow a painter to do all of the critters:

Ice Wyrm

Master Dragon

Master Demon

The Spider Queen

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!!! o.O

your minis are amazing, uthoroc! i really like the ice dragon, it is just totally stunning! ^^

my girlfriend really digs your minis, too. =D

these are my buddies: (only the master ones, since i don't have that much free time at the moment. to paint everything. but my razorwings and my mantikor are finished, too, i'll get them online soon.)

http://jay357.deviantart.com/gallery/#Painted-Minis

Uthoroc, I LOVE that bane spider with the webbed meal. Nice touch!!!

Oh well, now I can finally make a decent link to my painted descent figures =D

the links to the original size are below the pics ;)

I HAVEN'T DONE THE BASES SO FAR, BUT I WILL (AS SOON AS I FIGURE OUT WHAT I WANNA DO WITH THEM... ^^)

these are my painted master beastmen. the weapon and the skull the left two of them are holding are from the flagellants from warhammer. i bought them so we would also have some human enemies =D but since there are WAY to many weapons, my beastman decided to grab one, too =D

painteddescentbeastmenb.jpg

img168.imageshack.us/img168/7256/painteddescentbeastmenb.jpg

my master ferrox =D i made them all bloody, i just thought that fits them nicely =)

painteddescentferroxbyj.jpg

img168.imageshack.us/img168/5425/painteddescentferroxbyj.jpg

my "master" kobolds... ^^ i figured since they are so small they are prone to walking around in the dirt and blood...

painteddescentkoboldsby.jpg

img168.imageshack.us/img168/7985/painteddescentkoboldsby.jpg

i'm kinda proud of this one. i like the way he looks. this master giant got a nice chain that i found somewhere among my metal stuff...

painteddescentgiantbyja.jpg

img168.imageshack.us/img168/491/painteddescentgiantbyja.jpg

i call this one the "ogre lady", cause when i started painting it i somehow always referred to it as a lady... god knows why... ^^ maybe cause it's got these nice bright colors =D

painteddescentogrebyjay.jpg

img168.imageshack.us/img168/1640/painteddescentogrebyjay.jpg

I really like how theses turned out. my master sorcerers. especially the "metal" look of their robes. the fire they have i "stole" from the torches that the flagellants from warhammer have. there were WAY too many, so i decided i'd do them something good and REALLY GIVE them the fire they have on the monster cards.

painteddescentsorcererb.jpg

img168.imageshack.us/img168/1697/painteddescentsorcererb.jpg

this master manticor actually looks quite good (though i know lots of people out there who have AMAZINGLY painted figures...).

elitemantikor.jpg

img104.imageshack.us/img104/4948/elitemantikor.jpg

of these i am really proud. i like the shading on them. and the eyes =D (in real life they're NOT shiny x.x)

eliterasierklingenflgle.jpg

img104.imageshack.us/img104/8287/eliterasierklingenflgle.jpg

these are actually skinks from warhammer, but i use them as "salamanders/newts" and also made custom monster/spawn cards. the skink box i bought contained 24 minis, one of them i made a hero, 12 are red "salamanders" and 11 are blue newts. ^^ the red ones are melee fighters and about as strong as a razorwing (except the +damage), the blue ones are ranged fighters and about as strong as a skeleton.

elitesumpfmolche.jpg

img104.imageshack.us/img104/9959/elitesumpfmolche.jpg

elitesalamander.jpg

img104.imageshack.us/img104/3669/elitesalamander.jpg

my master skeletons.

eliteskelette.jpg

img104.imageshack.us/img104/9060/eliteskelette.jpg

and the only hero i painted so far is steelhorn... i don't have a clue why i picked him, we NEVER use him. i guess i just had the figures before me and blindly picked one... ^^ i don't remember.

heldstahlhorn.jpg

img104.imageshack.us/img104/1376/heldstahlhorn.jpg

hope you like

Here's some more...

ryhma2.jpg

ryhma1.jpg

Skellies.jpg

Beasts.jpg

Carthos.jpg

Hawk-dude.jpg

skell1.jpg

Razors.jpg

There's some more, but I guess this is enough for one message... Hope You like these beauties!