Just some positive words to throw out into the void

By donbaloo2, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Since there's not much to really discuss outside of speculation I figured I'd just chime in with some positive feedback for V3. I think its a good move by FFG and I look forward to seeing what its all about. That's not to say that I can't appreciate the hurt feelings and misgivings of the other folks, edition changes can be rough. I'm not an old Warhammer player though so I have no previous vested interest really (though I did buy into a number of V2 books and sell them off without playing).

I think its probably a good move by FFG though as I assume that core books and rules bring in a pretty significant profit as compared to supplements. But beyond that, I always look forward to seeing any sort of innovation in gaming. Not that its all good for me but it's certainly worth exploring other avenues in order to reach more people or even to just simply introduce new fun ideas to the same old people. I don't do much roleplaying any more but who knows, maybe this new edition will have a certain X factor that will make it easier to put on the table for new players. I'd love to see that.

So, I'm looking forward to it and FFG may get a sale from me with a new edition whereas I'm certain I wouldn't have bought in regardless of what supplementals they may have released for v2. That's what I think new versions of RPGs should do, invite new folks in and make attempts at cleaning up the previous version for oldtimers who may be interested. And that plays to everyone's favor as the old stuff will keep getting played by those that prefer it. So it has been for decades in the RPG "business".

Count me as excited to take a look at this new presentation of WFRP!

I'm feeling pretty positive about this too. I never played version 2 but I could tell it was/is a really cool game. From what I'm seeing, the people who have a big problem with the change come from established gaming groups with a deep history of the game. I can understand them totally. people like me who want to take the Warhammer plunge for the first time are positive about this(except the price, but it is FFG here).

I live in a different state than I started gaming in, and im still in contact with my old friends. they are still playing 2nd edition D&D, hated the 3rd as being too clunky and hard to manage, and thought that 4e was a stupid abomination. I've played 4e and was pretty "take it or leave it." I understand where all the negativity is coming from.

I'm also in the position if I want to play a game I'm going to have to find new players, or else play a two player game with my wife. and when i want to bring a new player into the game i want it to be an "experience." and having a box full of goodies helps. I'm not talented enough to win over someone with a pencil, paper and dice anymore. and i dont have time to dream up stuff like I did in college.

I'm also a highschool teacher, and I can tell you that kids nowadays want something to look at, something to touch. Maybe its my failings as a teacher, but they don't listen to much anymore, not even their friends. its an odd thing to see a group of kids that just a few years ago that would have been chattering and giving off" those darn kids" vibes, that now stand around in groups with their noses down looking at a cellphone or an iphone in complete silence. (its kinda weird sometimes) younger folks want to look at something and they want to fiddle with, look at and touch. I could lament the fact that we have a loss of reading and listening skills in this country, but in fact we have traded off the listening and the long term commitment of reading for the the quick, visual and tactile. i'm not making a value judgement on whether this is good or bad. right now its just different. and if people dont read that much anymore, hey at least its good for the trees.

well, anyway i feel good about this thing. I'll save up some cash and buy it. i hope its good.

I am a huge fan of WFRP1e and 2e and I am pretty excited about how 3e is shaping up. In fact, I have found this easier than recent edition updates in some of my other RPGs as 3e looks so different in its approach.

I agree with you chojun on appreciating an "experience" when you plunge into a new game and I too like that about what we're hearing so far about v3. I've roleplayed for a long time as well, mostly D&D but did some dipping into the indie scene as well and have been genuinely enthused and interested in all the gaming innovations that have taken place over the years. And I'm not seeing anything in the thus far scant descriptions of v3 that we've got that make me think its going to be any less of an RPG than its predecessors. And if all the "bits" actually help fascilitate the mechanical handling of the game for the players, that's a big time bonus in design for me.

I think what you're describing of today's kids is pretty generally the truth of the matter. It's a broad brush and certainly doesn't include all kids, and I know that's not what you were doing, but in general I agree with you. And its my impression that the changes FFG are making are changes that could address those specific things you mentioned. More things to look at and fiddle with, more information right there in your face and immediately useable. Maybe it'll work for kids. Maybe it'll work for me and my older crowd too though! I like the idea of it.

And as far as edition changes, yeah, I think changes should be pretty dramatic between editions. The only real concern I have with Warhammer at all is the fact that it seems to be getting less and less grim and hopeless with each edition, just from what I see and read. I mean, that's supposed to be the hallmark of the game really and its very appealing to me. But I picked up v2 and it was dripping with spikey dudes with huge armor, dreadful wizards and troll slayers with mohawks. I see just from looking at FFG's front page though that those things may still be in the forefront, as there's the mohawked troll slayer and a wizard that I dare say has no fear of finding himself face down in any mud anywhere.

There's alway the chance that you paint someone with too broad of a brush, especially in forums. But a good kid is still a good kid, no matter if he reads, or listens well or not. or if he is always on the cellphone texting, or playing video games. they like what they like. I just like the fact that FFG knows how to get your attention with the stuff they put in their games.

We are in complete agreement...

donbaloo said:

. But I picked up v2 and it was dripping with spiky dudes with huge armor, dreadful wizards and troll slayers with mohawks. I see just from looking at FFG's front page though that those things may still be in the forefront, as there's the mohawked troll slayer and a wizard that I dare say has no fear of finding himself face down in any mud anywhere.

OK, maybe the art in the game did do that for some parts. But have you ever seen how UNLIKELY it is that you'll end up a trollslayer/wizard/noble etc? It is far more likely in second edition you'd end up playing peasants, roadwardens and rat catchers. Flip through the career pages of the core book - many of the illustrations aren't holding weapons or at least aren't in an obvious combat scene.

One of the fears we have for this edition is making it more high fantasy - you start out a troll slayer or battle wizard or noble lord rather than building up your character from humble beginnings. That remains to be seen.