Encounter Cards

By Dice23, in Middle-earth Quest

I have played a few test rounds of the game after picking up a copy at GenCon, one question comes up over and over again. During the Hero's turn the Encounter step requires the hero to draw 3 cards and resolve one based on certain conditions. The problem I have run into is what happens when at least 2 encounter cards have the same value and the same region but none match the hero's location. The rules are clear that you only discard all 3 encounter cards

"If none of the Encounter cards affect the hero’s current location
or region, then they are all discarded, and the hero’s turn is over."

But in our game 2 cards had the same value and region (the 3rd card was of a higher value and different region). Do we still discard all 3? Do we use the one whose location is closest to the hero's actual location?

Do the cards mention the region or specific locations? If there are 2 cards with equal value and the same locaiton, that is a quandary. If they both mention locations in the hero's region, but neither are that hero's location, they are discarded...

All Encounter cards represent two regions each, so it is possible to draw 3 Encounter cards that do not match the location nor the region the Hero is on. But the question I have is when the location does not match but the region on two card does match and the value of the two cards with in the same region is the same. You only discard all three card if neither the location nor region matches the Heros location.

Dice I think you got it wrong somewhere... or maybe you have a faulty deck...

I just ran through my deck of encounter cards, and all 5 set follow the same logic:

Value 1 cards have specific locations (all are different)
Value 3 cards each have a region (2 in each set)
Value 4 cards with a quest for each region (2 in each set)
Higher value cards have "any location" - and all have different values

So, for me, there is no possible way to draw a specific location card and a region card with the same value.

Draw 3 cards, see which apply to your location, pick the lowest value of those.

Dice, are you under the impression that as long as the Region matches you can play it even if the Location is different? If so, that is not the case. If a card specifies a Location, the card can only be played on that Location...

The only encounter cards that have equal numbers have mutually exclusive conditions. It's not possible to draw 2 cards of the same number and be in a position to qualify for both.

Thanks everyone - especially Martin your explanation was spot on. I was over reading the rule and trying to apply the Encounter cards regional color to the decision making process. I have since played a few more games and it makes more sense now.