Raymond's Bad Baggage and Louis' Good. Anyone else had this issue?

By DocMemory, in Android

Hello:

I have read the FAQ, The Rules, and Quite a few comments. I still have a question about an issue we ran into while playing the game. During the 2nd half of the first week Louis' plot card resolved to one where if he sacrificed favors he would gain good baggage. During this Raymond's starting plot card (his change only after 6 days.) stated that he got bad baggage 'whenever another player sacrificed a favor'. [Note I used single quotes because I don't have access to the exact text and I can't remember the exact wording.]

The issue we have run into is, does Raymond get bad baggage each time Louis sacrifices a token to get himself good baggage. Has anyone else run into this issue and how have they solved it?

The conflict really seems to stem from the wording of Raymond's Plot Card (I think the plot is "Old Flame" but I am not entirely certain) versus the definition of Sacrifice. Raymond's plot card seems to indicate that 'whenever' or 'anytime' another character sacrifices a favor that is when he would gain bad baggage. Yet Sacrifice talks about sacrificing something only goes towards one effect.

To help out here is Sacrificing from the "Important Terms" portion of the rule book:

Sacrifice: When something is SACRIFICED it is discarded without it's normal effect taking place. A given item may only be sacrificed towards one effect.

And here is the FAQ entry on Sacrificing:

Sacrificing
Q: Could you explain sacrificing more thoroughly?
A: Sacrifices only happen due to a card effect or ability. A sacrifice must be performed during your turn, but they cost 0 time unless the card or
ability states otherwise. A player may sacrifice as many times per turn as he desires, as long as he can play the cost. Finally, sacrificed items
(such as favors or evidence) are returned to the pool that they came from. So, for instance, if your plot says that you may sacrifice 2 favors to gain 1 good baggage, then you may discard 2 favors during your turn to gain 1 good baggage without spending any time

Note that in the example above, you could not gain any other benefit from sacrificing those 2 favors, even if you had another game effect that you could trigger by sacrificing favors.

I am really interested to hear if other people have run across this and how they resolved it.

Sacrificing only goes towards one effect, full stop. If a player sacrifices a favour to give Louis good baggage, Raymond does not gain bad baggage (and vice versa).

well, i disagree! in this case, raymond would never get good baggage, because everytime someone else sacrifies something, he will do this to earn or ban something. i would rather think, that this restriction means:

when YOU (means only one person) have, for example, two different effects triggered by the same kind of sacrifice, THEN only one effect is triggered PER sacrifice.

means in this case luise can trigger his good baggage thing by sacrificing his favors. STOP!

but raymond can also get his good baggage, because he didn't sacrificed anything, it was louis. and also, like it's written on his plot-card, it is some kind of exception, that you can do something when someone else sacrifices something.

I'm not really sure what you mean, but let me explain a little clearer:

If Louis' plots says "you may sacrifice a favour to gain one good baggage" and Raymond's plot says "you gain one bad bagge each time another player sacrifices a favour", then Louis would have two options:

1) Sacrifice a favour to gain one good baggage himself, or

2) Sacrifice a favour to give Raymond one bad baggage.

Both effects wouldn't trigger off of a single favour sacrifice.

well, you are right, because raymond would get bad baggage. i thought he would also get good baggage. that makes the difference ;) .