The Artwork

By Emirikol, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

New artwork pix: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166320

I EXPECT that the artwork for this edition will be top notch. One of the things about prior editions that was a turn-on for many people was the pictures of the careers themselves and the overall artwork of the entire Warhammer genre.

3rdedition.jpg

jh

Looking at the rest of the art this guy's done reminds me of a trip to Lustria!

Here's Mike "Daarken" Lim's home page: www.daarken.com/

jh

This is awesome artwork. But, this too makes me sad. In 1st edition WFRP chaos was scary. Reading the fluff in Realm of chaos sent shivers through my spines.

I started playing WFB somewhere during the last edition. I have to say that even though they weren't as scary as those in RoC, they where still pretty awesome.

With warhammer turning more and more high, chaos looses its image. From the mutated masses from RoC to the pressent Warriors. When you mention chaos, mutants are among the last things that comes to your mind.

I am not saying that warhammer was better before, i am just saying that chaos has gotten lame.

This is what the picture reminds me of. And i hate it!

Art does provoke feeling when done right ;)

Hey at least it's not "Yahtzee WFRP Adventures" ;)

jh

This is my first look at it. Good stuff, as usual. Even if their games sometimes don't work out for me, the artistry that goes into everything Warhammer is what keeps me spending money on it.

It looks exactly like a scene from WAR. I hope we can still play low-level PCs that aren't expected to do that right away, but I definitely want to be able to get there.

I love that Bright Wizard. The Chaos warriors look suitably badass, as if they're ready for a main course of adventurers after a breakfast of recreational slaughter.

I don't know about that artwork. It's like in mid fight the artist said(with a substantial lisp) "Everybody freeze right there!"

LOL gran_risa.gif

JK, I think it looks fantastic. Nice and dark, the way Warhammer should be. No four color heroes(DnD) here.

E

I imagine party stress would be pretty high about now.

For everyone but the Slayer, I'd agree. "Finally, a worthy Doom!"

E

DagobahDave said:

It looks exactly like a scene from WAR.

That's because it's the SAME artist.

On a related note...I figure I'd mention that before the "You know, there's a WFRP2 forum out there for those of you who have already decided that you're not going 3E..please go away " thread title finally emerges..and it will..

Jay H

Good artwork indeed.

WAR artwork in general is good, if maybe sometimes too clean and egotrippy.

The Grim and Perilous of v1 has definitely been standardised and made more commercial.

Ian Miller and John Blanche had made stellar work for v1 and the cover of the v1 rulebook had this gory sense of humour I've come to associate with WFRP.

Now, everycharacter looks powerful and mean, selfabsorbed and narcissic too. A bit too much like the fop heroes of DnD to my taste.

Stop acting so **** cool ! You got a living to make, and the Old World is a pitiless place to make it in !

Anyways...

This artwork still is very good, just a bit to close to the WotC look (and graphic design, for that matter) for me.

As long as what is written in the books is good, artwork can diverge, I don't mind that.

As with background, I only use the art that fits into my game and its tone.

Looks nice, could be more sinister and less mainstream, but its nice...