Adventurer’s Toolkit?

By Armrek, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

It says in the description of the new edition that:

This Core set is best suited for a group of four players – one Game Master and three Player Characters. Adding more players is easy! You can find more careers, party sheets, action cards, and components in the the Adventurer’s Toolkit.

So what is this Adventurer’s Toolkit - a expansion on or what?

It also seems from this that you can play more than 4 people, and I gues that you can play more than for with the core rules if you use your imagination. There it was again that important word for RPG - Imagination ...

I'm under the impression that the Adventurer's Toolkit will contain just one complete player's kit, along with those other extras.

All the stuff one player needs to play the game from the sounds of it. So, adding one player is as easy as getting the toolkit. Somewhat like the character expansions boxes for World of Warcraft the Adventure game with it's new characters...with the stuff to play that character in the game, and each having some new stuff to add to the game as well.

DagobahDave said:

I'm under the impression that the Adventurer's Toolkit will contain just one complete player's kit, along with those other extras.

Like the Warhammer Quest character add-ons. I don't like this idea (if this is case) anymore than the OWB being published as a seperate book in WFRPv2. I feel that you should have everything you need for a well rounded game in the Core set. This was one of my criticisms of WFRPv2 the Core Rulebook had very little depth and I felt that additional supplements were needed just to create what I would think of as a good starter set. I truly hope we will not be held to ransom by FFG, that they will not force us to buy multiple products at a high cost just to have a good starter set.

It sure doesn't sound good DagobahDave, It really sounds like money is more important than true RPG values, let's hope not...

My big question: How much are the Adventure's Toolkits? I hope they are going to be $20 or below. I, as the GM wanting to run Warhammer, will have to foot the bill for the core set as I dont want to split the box up. Splitting the box up between my gaming group means it will be less usable if one of us should leave the group. As there are 5 of us, and possibly a 6th soon, I wouldnt feel right to make 2 out of the 6 have to spend extra cash just play. And as there are 5 of us...it means we wont be playing until the Toolkit is released. I know it is suppossed to be released at the same time....but delays DO happen.

I hope its not going to be like in "die Siedler ovn Catan", where the game is set for 4 players and if you want to play with 5-6 players you have to buy an extra box.

To me, the FFG guys are making it sound like there's only one extra set of player's dice or cards or sheets or whatever -- plus some career cards and other stuff that are probably intended to be shared by the group.

But I've also heard one GenCon-goer say that the AT lets you add several more players (but might include only one new character-keeper box?). Guess we just gotta wait for clarification.

DagobahDave said:

Guess we just gotta wait for clarification.

Clarification?

Here?

partido_risa.gif

You, sir , must be feverish and hallucinating a proper forum laden with congenial and munificent developers, eager to edify the masses.

That or you are truly mad.

At Friday's seminar Jay mentioned that the Adventurer's Toolkit would expand the number of players by adding more character sheets, stance cards, careers, and more. He did not specify how many more players could be added, but it is definitely more than 1. I believe the tentative price is $29.95, and the tookit will be released quickly after or possibly at the same time as the core set. On a related note, Jay did say that dice packs would be for sale around the same time, if the group all wanted their own individual dice. For the most part that may be the only thing a player would need to buy. The core set and toolkit will give the whole group everything they need to play without further expense. Now if a player wishes to have their own copy of the books in the core set they could buy a box set for themselves, but this is purely optional. All in all, a group of gamers could pool their money and have a high quality set of gaming tools for a fraction of the cost of buying into another system that would require everyone involved buy several "player" books.

PointyEaredBastard said:

All in all, a group of gamers could pool their money and have a high quality set of gaming tools

Does some group actually do that? I'm under the impression that all the money is out of GM's pocket. happy.gif At least it's true in my case...

doc_cthulhu said:

PointyEaredBastard said:

All in all, a group of gamers could pool their money and have a high quality set of gaming tools

Does some group actually do that? I'm under the impression that all the money is out of GM's pocket. happy.gif At least it's true in my case...

Some may but most won't. First you would have to convince all the players in the group that they want to play the game, chip in, and leave it in someone elses care. Heck for years my group took a half hour or more deciding what to get on the pizza...every week...and always got almost the same thing. Getting them to all to decide to chip in $25-30 bucks for a new game to share will take a while. Since two of us are unemployed right now and one is on disability it won't happen anytime soon here.