Tag Along...

By NJBrock22, in UFS Rules Q & A

ok i kinda feel bad because i might have given a kid i was playing against a raw deal on this here was the scenario

him (sasquatch2) me(character doesnt matter)

he plays an attack and announces his characters E: Once per Game, your attack gets +X damage. X equals your vitality minus your opponents. Only playable if you have at least 4 foundations.

now the question is. I reacted with Tag Along. Does the attack still get a damage pump and the once per game stays in effect or is the effect negated entirely and still eligible to be played later OR does the ability get negated but still remember that it has been played this game. I know it sounds like a silly question from a scout but i do feel guilty if i did screw this kid out by a bad ruling, for those wondering i ruled it got negated and remembers that it was played this game. No repricussions come from this anyway as the Kid does get the earth patch from me as i am a scout and just play in tournies to keep myself sharp.

N.J.

Just like ukyo's once per turn effect if it's negated he is allowed to play it again. And since tag along says "after your opponent plays an ability on their character card, cancel that ability's effects", the only playable once per game effect is also negated. So yes you kinda cheated him but now you know for future reference. If a "once per ____" effect is negated then the "once per ___" doesn't exist anymore.

Truth. it would be the way you thought if it said "only playable once per game."

but it doesn't, so, if negated, it may be played and attempt to resolve again if it is canceled.

Ah, so THIS is why some cards are labelled "Once per ____....", and others are "Only playable once per _____." I always thought this was because of bad wording.

for futher reference the cost of the card is ended by a colan.everything after the cost is part of the effect, if you negate the effect no part of the effect will go through including the once per game effect.

Son Gopaul said:

Ah, so THIS is why some cards are labelled "Once per ____....", and others are "Only playable once per _____." I always thought this was because of bad wording.

This is the important part.

No, you aren't negating the restriction on the ability.

The thing is, if it says "Once per game, yadda yadda" and the ability gets negated, you haven't done yadda yadda yet so the 'once per game' hasn't been satisfied anyway.

If it says "Yadda yadda, only playable once per game" like **Kyoshiro** then negating it means the ability cannot be played again for the rest of the game.

Tagrineth said:

The thing is, if it says "Once per game, yadda yadda" and the ability gets negated, you haven't done yadda yadda yet so the 'once per game' hasn't been satisfied anyway.

If it says "Yadda yadda, only playable once per game" like **Kyoshiro** then negating it means the ability cannot be played again for the rest of the game.

I get the first one. If you don't do nothing, you still didn't do the once per game thingy.

But the latter one, it's still hazy. So if you cancel the effect, which means by example **Kyoshiro** not drawing 5 cards, you're also not doing the yadda yadda so you did not do the once per game thingy. So why is this different from the text above?

Malk said:

Tagrineth said:

I get the first one. If you don't do nothing, you still didn't do the once per game thingy.

But the latter one, it's still hazy. So if you cancel the effect, which means by example **Kyoshiro** not drawing 5 cards, you're also not doing the yadda yadda so you did not do the once per game thingy. So why is this different from the text above?

Because **Kyoshiro** doesn't say

F Commit: Once per game, draw 5 cards.

He says

F Commit: Draw 5 cards. Only playable once per game.

So if the ability gets negated... you still played it. Once. Can't play it again.

Ahhhh. Now i get it. It's the "only playable" thingy. Nice. Yes, i paid for the cost so i played the ability.