Heh the name is kind of misleading

By Guest, in Chaos Marauders

Only green skins would have the guts to steal from chaos name. The game looks fun, has anyone played the origonal? What type of game is it and how did it play.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I played the original. Everyone gets a playmat that's set up to hold three lines of cards. You draw a card and place it in one of your lines. Once a line is complete, it can make an attack on a weaker enemy line. Your completed line is safe. You complete your three lines and then add up the score. Every card has points and/or a combat strength. The siege equipment comes in three pieces so you have to guess as to whether you'll draw all three or not. That's not absolutely everything, but that's the basics. Graphically, it's very appealing, but as games go... well there's not a lot to it.

Back in the very early days of Warhammer Fantasy Battle, races tended to get lumped into a Empire vs Chaos story line, and Orcs were allied with Chaos. When I first got into the game in 1992 or so, dwarfs were still very much a part of the Empire though by then the Orcs were pretty much on their own.

Unless you knew the original game or background fluff, I can see why newer (as in younger than me) gamers would be a bit perplexed at the game name. A better more accurate name might reach a bigger audience than Chaos Marauders, I would think.

I don't know squat about Warhammer. This is a game where each player is an orcish leader and they're squabbling amongst themselves for who's the best leader. The cards all played up to a humorous point of view. There's one card in the game that's the single best unit called the Chaos Marauders. When someone draws it, they place it and hope everyone else is sleeping. If the next person draws, they keep the card, but if another player notices you drew it and shouts "Chaos Marauders!" first, then they get it. I don't think knowing anything about the Warhammer universe makes any difference as to whether or not you'd enjoy this game.

Played the new version last night at Gen Con. Sounds like the mechanics are the same, don't know about the cards, and the playmat has been reduced to a strip that holds your middle line only. You put one line above and below the strip. The game was a blast to play. There were only 4 copies left with about 10 minutes left before the exhibitor room closed last night. I didn't see anymore copies today.

lol... *chuckles at the irony about the statement "know squat about warhammer"* That my sir used to be a race of space dwarves in 40k. Anywho yes all the races were split into chaos or empire as for alliances. Eventually it became alliance versus chaos, and now Forces of Order against Disorder / Chaos. Those allainces mean nothing really except for like major campaigns as there are no true "good guys". The game sounds like it used to and virtually all the sabertooth games worked the same way such as Warcry and Horus Heresy / Dark M. With forming battle lines and comparing results for victory, although the other card games were far more convoluted lol. Keep it simple I say... I should pick me up a set one of these days.

The game seems quite Orcish so probably a lot of fun and slaughter;p. I'm going to purchase this game very soon but I have a question to players that already did. What is the size of the cards and which kind of protector sleeves from FFG do the cards require?