Queries on To Forge A Realm

By player543269, in Kingsburg

1) Does a Mercenary activate a Small Palisade?

2) If it is the year of the Rising Stars and two people influence the same Rising Star (using the Kings' Envoy), who gets the extra gift? The player who placed their dice there first, or the person who is earlier in the turn order?

Thanks,

John

JohnTheSweeney said:

1) Does a Mercenary activate a Small Palisade?

2) If it is the year of the Rising Stars and two people influence the same Rising Star (using the Kings' Envoy), who gets the extra gift? The player who placed their dice there first, or the person who is earlier in the turn order?

Thanks,

John

1) yes

2) The player who placed the dice there first (Rising Stars says "the first player to influence").

Thanks.

I guess the General activates the Small Palisade as well then.

3) Is the activation of the Brewery optional? Can I keep all my soldiers if I wish?

4) Since the Mercenary and General count as Soldier Symbols to activate the Small Palisade, does that mean they count as Soldier Symbols to prevent the activation of the Training Camp? (Hopefully not!)

5) I guess the General and Mercenary also count towards activating the School?

6) The Arena and the Military Parade: Which soldiers are included in this count? Just ones on the Soldiers Chart? Are the General and Mercenary included? Are the buildings such as Guard Tower and Palisade included? (If so, presumably ones which give a potential +1 such as the Barricade and Church don't count?)

6a) If soldiers unconditionally provided by buildings are included in the count, then is the Improvised Defenses included in years I and II?

Re Mercenary and General, Luca says:

========

Originally those characters gave soldiers each year (in parallel to what Sculptor, Miner and Carpenter do with the three goods, the Damsel with the +2 tokens, etc.), but they were later changed to "+ X in battle" since it was considered easier to remember AND it gave more incentive to still get "real soldiers" in order to trigger things like the Arena, the Small Palisade, etc.
Probably Andrea got confused between the various versions... I'll not tell you how many different variations of the same character/building/event with slight modifications one can see when developing a game! (Ok, I'll tell you: just TOO MANY! ) happy.gif

========

So anything giving a Bonus in Battle (+1, +2, etc.) is NOT a soldier and doesn't count anywhere that it says "soldiers" or uses the Soldier Symbol.

So the General and the Mercenary do not activate the Small Palisade.

You can probably work out the answers to all the questions above based on that, but full details will be posted soon.

JohnTheSweeney said:

Thanks.

I guess the General activates the Small Palisade as well then.

3) Is the activation of the Brewery optional? Can I keep all my soldiers if I wish?

Luca already cleared it out on bgg but...

"a" Mercenary recruited during phase #7 DOES activate the Small Palisade.

"THE" Mercenary governor DOES NOT activate the Small Palisade. Same thing for the General of course.

Sorry but the "a" made me think you were talking about the mercenaries you can hire during phase # 7.

Andrea

All the queries above and more have been answered by Luca and Andrea. There is a PDF you can download and print at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/46123

Kingsburg: To Forge A Realm – Rules Clarification

When the King dies:
All end-of-game scoring takes place to determine the winner.

Prince and Famine:
The Prince, if his dice total (two coloured dice and any white dice) is 8 or less, can turn the 2 coloured dice into 6,3 6,4 or 4,3.

Heavy Snow and Military Academy:
Treat it as though the king had rolled a 2. Play as normal if using Soldier Tokens.

Traveling Market and Politician:
The Traveling Market can be used to influence the Politician, but only the #5 half of course, not the #10 half.

Minstrel:
Both parts are resolved at the same time, so if you are in a tie for lowest position you do get two VPs.

Secret Deals and Politician:
An opponent may place his token on someone else’s Politician, but is NOT allowed to influence him. If this happens the owner of the Politician will not be able to influence the Politician unless he places his token there as well.

Rising Stars and Politican:
The Politician’s #5 does not get an extra gift placed on it.

Good Year and Priest:
Farm, Vineyard, Fairy and King’s Favor are resolved first.
Then if the Priest asks for divine blessing each player chooses which order to activate them in:
a) get a die from Good Year and then a VP from the Priest's ability,
or
b) get a die from the Priest and the good from Good Year.

Players that already had one die (or two) from Farms, Vineyard, Fairy or King's Favor will get both the VP and the good.

Rising Stars and King’s Envoy
You take the extra gifts as you place your dice, so if two players influence the same advisor then the player who places the dice there first gets the extra gift.

Soldiers and Bonuses in Battle
Whenever any text uses the Soldier Symbol or the word “soldier” it means soldiers recorded on the Soldiers Chart. Bonuses in Battle are shown as +1, +2 and do not count as soldiers.

Brewery
The activation of the Brewery is not optional; you can’t choose to keep your soldiers. You cannot avoid hangovers.

Mercenary/General and Small Palisade/Training Camp/School
The Mercenary and the General do not activate the Small Palisade, do not prevent the activation of the Training Camp, and do not count towards activating the School.

Arena/Miltary Parade
Only the soldiers currently on the Soldiers Chart are counted. Bonuses in Battle are not included.

All information provided by Luca and Andrea via the boardgamegeek and Fantasy Flight forums.
Collated by John Sweeney – please send any corrections to [email protected] 20 August 2009

Great to read some of those rules updates! I am looking to crack open the expansion this weekend and get a game in. Love the Core game and from reading the expansion rules this looks like a few or all of these new rules are going to make for some excellent and exciting to ventures into the World of Kingsburg! COOL!

With the destiny deck the Tax Raise card caused some confusion:

Do you lose victory points if you cannot pay the 2 gold or do you lose them if you dont pay two and you had enough to pay the two?

For example:

I only had one gold at the end of autumn when this card was in play. Do I lose no victory points because I pay some? or do I lose 2 victory points because I could only pay the one gold?

In this same game, at the end of autumn the other player with me had 3 gold, he paid the 2 gold and kept one. Does he break even and not lose any victory points? or does he lose victory points because he had gold left over after paying?

empryme said:

With the destiny deck the Tax Raise card caused some confusion:

Do you lose victory points if you cannot pay the 2 gold or do you lose them if you dont pay two and you had enough to pay the two?

For example:

I only had one gold at the end of autumn when this card was in play. Do I lose no victory points because I pay some? or do I lose 2 victory points because I could only pay the one gold?

In this same game, at the end of autumn the other player with me had 3 gold, he paid the 2 gold and kept one. Does he break even and not lose any victory points? or does he lose victory points because he had gold left over after paying?

If you don't pay, you lose VPs. It doesn't matter if you can or cannot pay, or if you have or don't have gold left, after.

Hope it's clear, have fun playing!

So, it doesn't matter if a player pays 2 gold or not? If you pay 1 gold, you lose no VP; if you pay 2 gold, you lose no VP?

empryme said:

So, it doesn't matter if a player pays 2 gold or not? If you pay 1 gold, you lose no VP; if you pay 2 gold, you lose no VP?

No, no:

You pay 2 gold: you don't lose VP

You pay 1 gold: you lose 2 VP

You don't pay any gold: you lose 4 VP

You are supposed to pay 2 gold. For any gold you don't want or cannot pay, you lose 2 VP.

Hope it's clearer, I maybe was confused by you referring to players with gold left after paying.

Thank you very much for the answers. Sorry about the confusing detail; I try to make the examples/questions as detailed/informed as possible so that I can get the best answer possible. Thanks again ^_^

empryme said:

Thank you very much for the answers. Sorry about the confusing detail; I try to make the examples/questions as detailed/informed as possible so that I can get the best answer possible. Thanks again ^_^

No problem, the main reason for me to be here is to provide this kind of answers, after all ^_^