P-39, P-40 and Hurricanes (warning pictures)

By afilter, in Wings of War (WWII)

I added to my air fleet this weekend. These are all AIR200 models that I painted and decaled. The only mod was adding the antena with a piece of styrene. I was out of Testors Dull coat which I usually use to coat them, so I used a matte finish clear coat which left some a bit glossy. I will hit them again with dull coat when I get it.

P-39s used pics form the web as a guide:

DSCN0872.jpg

DSCN0873.jpg

P-40s...I was not daring enough with my painting skills to try the Flying tigers:

DSCN0876.jpg

DSCN0877.jpg

Hurricanes...I used the WoW cards as a guide and am pleased with how the camo schemes turned out:

DSCN0874.jpg

DSCN0875.jpg

Very Nice! aplauso.gif

Are those the Litko stands? It looks like they are. What do you think of them as compared to the WoW flight stands?

kaufschtick said:

Very Nice! aplauso.gif

Are those the Litko stands? It looks like they are. What do you think of them as compared to the WoW flight stands?

Thanks

Yes, they are Litko...I really like them. we played a few games this weekend using basic rules. The are much more sturdy than the WoW stands. I purchased a pack of the conversion peg toppers so I can mount my WoW models on them. Other than not having the aircraft data on them I think I like thme better than the official stands.

I ordered some more along with some dice holders which look like they might aid with altitude rules.

Hmm, I considering getting some of those stands to, only problem is that we run more altitudes....

Pour Le Merite said:

Hmm, I considering getting some of those stands to, only problem is that we run more altitudes....

Have not played altitude much yet as most of my competition is my kids and we are learning. With the Litko stands I have 7 altitude pegs to pick from. My thought is setting a altitude floor that if you go below x you are out of the game, same as retreating. Really if aplane dives more than a couple altitude levels apart they are not going to get back in the fight anyway as it will take to long to climb back into in a typical dual with climb rates of 3-4.

afilter said:

Litko...I really like them. we played a few games this weekend using basic rules. The are much more sturdy than the WoW stands. I purchased a pack of the conversion peg toppers so I can mount my WoW models on them. Other than not having the aircraft data on them I think I like thme better than the official stands.

I ordered some more along with some dice holders which look like they might aid with altitude rules.

Litko also has some nifty "flame" and "smoke" pieces that fit on their stands.

The one thing keeping me from trying them is the fact that I have all of the WWI planes, and all of those stands work just fine with the 1/144 scale planes I use for the WWII version.

They do look like a good option for the WWII crowd that, may be looking to augement their miniatures.

kaufschtick said:

afilter said:

Litko...I really like them. we played a few games this weekend using basic rules. The are much more sturdy than the WoW stands. I purchased a pack of the conversion peg toppers so I can mount my WoW models on them. Other than not having the aircraft data on them I think I like thme better than the official stands.

Litko also has some nifty "flame" and "smoke" pieces that fit on their stands.

The one thing keeping me from trying them is the fact that I have all of the WWI planes, and all of those stands work just fine with the 1/144 scale planes I use for the WWII version.

They do look like a good option for the WWII crowd that, may be looking to augement their miniatures.

I have 18 of the WWI planes as well. The most frustrating thing for us is getting the pegs to stay together when moving planes. This is not an issue with the Litko stuff.

As for fire and smoke check out some of the do it yourself stuff on this site:

http://cockpit-traditions.blogspot.com/search/label/dawn%20of%20war

Sorry, it is not all in english, but some good stuff if you explore a bit.

afilter said:

kaufschtick said:

I have 18 of the WWI planes as well. The most frustrating thing for us is getting the pegs to stay together when moving planes. This is not an issue with the Litko stuff.

We have no problems with that and we use 10 altitudes as max???? I have been looking on the litko stuff as well but since we use so many altitudes it would mean I had to make my own of the last 3 altitude sticks, and sinece I have many Wow I havn't bothered.

As for fire and smoke, we use this sytem: www.eaglesmax.com/CE/Smoke_Fire.PDF It is brilliant and looks really cool :) Painted cotton looks a lot like fire and smoke.

Pour Le Merite said:

afilter said:

kaufschtick said:

We have no problems with that and we use 10 altitudes as max???? I have been looking on the litko stuff as well but since we use so many altitudes it would mean I had to make my own of the last 3 altitude sticks, and sinece I have many Wow I havn't bothered.

As for fire and smoke, we use this sytem: www.eaglesmax.com/CE/Smoke_Fire.PDF It is brilliant and looks really cool :) Painted cotton looks a lot like fire and smoke.

I have seen that fire/smoke before just not the instructions. Thanks!

Question on altitude: As someone who has not played altitude much, how much does altitude really vary in a typical dogfight/game? Do you really have planes that are more than 7 altitudes from each other? SInce you cannot fire at planes more than one atltidue away, I do not see the point in using all the levels. The WoW planes only come with 4 pegs anyway.

I would think that it would take forever for a plane to climb back into a fight if it dove. I am thinking we will just establish a ceiling or floor for missions. If planes leave the vertical box it is thesame as retreating off the edge of the map.

afilter said:

kaufschtick said:

I have seen that fire/smoke before just not the instructions. Thanks!

Question on altitude: As someone who has not played altitude much, how much does altitude really vary in a typical dogfight/game? Do you really have planes that are more than 7 altitudes from each other? SInce you cannot fire at planes more than one atltidue away, I do not see the point in using all the levels. The WoW planes only come with 4 pegs anyway.

I would think that it would take forever for a plane to climb back into a fight if it dove. I am thinking we will just establish a ceiling or floor for missions. If planes leave the vertical box it is the same as retreating off the edge of the map.

Well, usually most of the dogfight is in the same altitude or close to anyways. But the altitudes can differ quite a lot if you also have baloon busting and bombing in the same scenario. It do take quite some times to come back into the battle after a steep dive to shake of a enemy but I don't want to take a plane out of the game for that.

Our last game we had a dogfight where my Albatross DII were trying to shake of a Spad VII of my back, starting at altitude seven and ending with me finally making a landing on a grassy field because I run out of fuel 1 1/2 hors play later. He shoot me up badly and it was a miracle the frenchmen didn't get me as a kill (he got some points for a forced landing however). Just the game before did RFC lose the campaigns best pilot (I hurt him badly and then he run into a Roland who just had bombed his airfield who wasted him). Now my pilot, Von RĂ³th is the best and I was sure his time had come there.

There is nothing worse than a Spad on your tail, they are almost impossible to shake. And I didn't dare to put the plane down until I had shaked him either even on the engine was running on fumes...

I have had no problem with the altitude pegs either, and we've had some games where close to 10 pegs were used as well! gran_risa.gif Usually not quite that many though, more like 7 to 8, I'm gonna say, in most cases.

The reason we've used so many altitude pegs is because we've had games where the fights have slowly worked their way down. If you just set an artificial altitude "floor", then it can sometimes force the game in ways that it wouldn't otherwise, if you just make allowances for the additional altitude from the start. Obviously there is a lot of chasing in games like that, but sometimes it's quite fun.

I haven't gotten to the point of using flame and smoke markers just yet, but I think I favor the idea someone had where they used a pipe cleaner, fashioned into a "U" shape at one end, which fit snuggly over the wing of the planes, and was painted to be either smoke; or smoke and flame trailing back.

kaufschtick said:

I have had no problem with the altitude pegs either, and we've had some games where close to 10 pegs were used as well! gran_risa.gif Usually not quite that many though, more like 7 to 8, I'm gonna say, in most cases.

The reason we've used so many altitude pegs is because we've had games where the fights have slowly worked their way down. If you just set an artificial altitude "floor", then it can sometimes force the game in ways that it wouldn't otherwise, if you just make allowances for the additional altitude from the start. Obviously there is a lot of chasing in games like that, but sometimes it's quite fun.

I haven't gotten to the point of using flame and smoke markers just yet, but I think I favor the idea someone had where they used a pipe cleaner, fashioned into a "U" shape at one end, which fit snuggly over the wing of the planes, and was painted to be either smoke; or smoke and flame trailing back.

Same reason as we use many heights :)

I have a few pictures of the fire/smoke markers, none in Wow but they are from Blue max. I use the same markers (and same planes for that matter) in both games however so just ignore the hexagons and movement markers...

s72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/Judas_photos/

s72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/Judas_photos/

The first picture is a (horrible painted, our RNAS player have no taste) Sopwith 1 1/2 sniper, the second holds 2 1 1/2 Strutters. 2 Roland CII, 1 Fokker EIII, 1 Spad VII and my personal Albatross DII that I currently uses in Wow also. I cant wait to get all the WW2 planes also but I tend to forget my camera when we are playing.