how do you play your campain

By Darkflame2, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

well im about to setup a playgroup to play the campain

how much do you guys get to play in one session??

like 1 encounter and 1 dungeon ?? or more?

how many people do you play with?? do you use sustetutes?

Usually there are four people playing four heros. Each person will confide in another to play his/her hero in their absence.

The game session usually takes place at the overlords house or shop. This way, there is no chance to play without the overlord.

Sessions last as long as they have to. We stop playing at a good stopping point(exiting a dungeon level or exploring the map). Gaming stops when we are down to one hero player who hasn't had to leave, or when the caffeinated beverages stop working. babeo.gif

Dungeons levels can last 20 minutes or 3 hours depending on the players, circumstances, or objectives.

Campaigns can last a month or a year, also depending on the players and circumstances as well as session frequency and length.

A good rule of thumb for a session would be to make sure you all have at least 3 hours to kill.

Choose your heros wisely, and overlord choose your avatar wisely, because you we be very close to them for a very long time.

Overlord should play the rule police, because heros tend to forget certain gaming restrictions. To do this, the chosen overlord should be very familiar with the rules and limitations. (I keep a custom made quick reference book by my side at all times during a session)

If u have any other questions, please ask and I am sure someone here will help you. (Rather quickly I might add) Thanx

our game day usually lasts about 8 hours, gets us through all of one dungeon, and usually most of the way through a second. That includes the obligatory powering up, plotting, strategizing and general badassery.

LOL. General badassery is the best kind of badassery!

Darkflame said:

well im about to setup a playgroup to play the campain

how much do you guys get to play in one session??

like 1 encounter and 1 dungeon ?? or more?

how many people do you play with?? do you use sustetutes?

After several stalled campaigns with too much difficulty getting people together regularly, I have one other person who is at a similar gaming skill level to myself (and is my regular boardgaming/figure gaming partner anyway). Since we both have full sets, we have two campaigns going, one with me as the Heroes and one with him as the Heroes. We play 2-4 times a month at either's house depending on suitability. Whoever hosts sets up in advance the current situation with the Guest's Heroes campaign in advance and we play from around 7-8pm until 11pm-1am depending on how busy things are at work the next day etc.

Both of us are quite comfortable playing all four heroes at once and this way we get campaign continuity, variation and a challenging game where any mistakes (and there usually are some) cannot be blamed on anyone else!

For social one-off Descent games with larger numbers I wouldn't bother with RTL, just playing basic. However we are more likely to pick a different game (like TI3+Expansion or GoT+Expansion or even a non FFG game like Republic of Rome, 7 Ages, Here I Stand) for one-offs.

I play every tuesday night for about 4 hours and that sometimes gets us through one dungeon. We have 4 heroes and me, the overlord, so 5 total. I try to get on them aboutt aking too long to sratagize, but they ususally ignore me thinking i am trying to trick them into dying some how happy.gif , and im ok with that. We are playing through the basic campaign right now, 1/2 through quest 5, we also do the ocassional game on the weekends, usually about a 6 hr span, and that gets us through one dungeon and dinner too.

we play where i only lay the map peices in the areas that have already been revealed, so they never know what is coming, and the heroes are lvling up as we go on, so they are lvl 4 right now, keeping the same abilites as we move from quest to quest.

I'm with a group of family... odd when you have your Mother, Mother-in-law, Brother-in-law, Wife and you playing a game like Descent. ;) It's a game for all ages :D

Generally, we'll play in the evening, around 7pm, until around 10pm or so. That usually gets us through a dungeon and a couple weeks of play, but we're flexable enough to make sure that if we need to stop we can, usually after finishing the dungeon level we're on. Then it's about scheduling the next session... with things that have been going on lately, it's been about 3 weeks from the last one... but it's ok. RtL is great in that you don't really need to be playing it every night to keep up. :D

And no, we don't play with substitutes... not enough interest, but I doubt I'd allow it anyway. It's more fun to be having the same party every session... you get to know how to work together (or against the team) quite well after a couple weeks.

I'm currently playing with 2 others, each controlling two heroes. I was trying to get four, but the other two backed out at the last minute. I feel somewhat bad since its their first time playing RtL, but they felt they were up for the challenge. I've been progressively tightening up back tracking on obvious mistakes they made and lessening my advice so that they don't get discouraged. I committed myself to going for a plot win. Naturally, I didn't tell them that so I still can bluff them with Tamilir if I need to.

We typically only get to play once every 2 weeks for about 5 hours. We'll get through a dungeon, or an encounter and like 1-2 levels of a dungeon.