Dusting off Descent!

By Frog, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I purchased Descent for $80 back in 2006. The day I bought it I was overwhelmed by the rulebook, pieces, and setup and left it at my friend's house because he had a better playing area. I felt the game looked infinitely more complex than my all-time fave boardgame "Warhammer Quest".

Recently, I bought Talisman by FFG and it got me interested in gaming again. So we play a few games and my friend was over and I was did you ever learn the Descent yet so we could play? He said no, so I told him to drop it off at my place because I had enough playing area.

So now I have dusted the game off and will be learning the rules and actually playing this game after letting it sit for 3 years! I see there are tons of expansions and even variant "Descent Quest" rules which I plan to try!

I can't wait to try all this out! Descent really does not look that much like Warhammer Quest, but rather a very advanced version of Hero Quest(which I also used to play a lot).

Any cool software for making characters or quests for this game?

Hi! You are correct, it doesn't play like Warhammer Quest, but I'm glad to see that you've already seen my mod ( I made Descent Quest). Once you get into Descent you'll probably agree that the combat in Descent is far superior to Warhammer Quest.

Anyway, as for heroes, I know there are some templates around, including on this site if you check the support section. I've never gotten into custom heroes since I've got all the expansions for a total of 38 heroes. That's plenty for me. :)

There is an official quest editor that you can find in the support section also, but it never got updated past the Well of Darkness expansion (the first one). I use an app called TileSystem. It's easily expandable to support any graphics that you want. Do a search for "TileSystem" on the board here and you'll find a thread that has links in it. It's just about the only search on this forum that will actually get you what you want. :)

Man, it's sad to think of a brand new descent game sitting unused for three years. Glad to hear you picked it back up, and I hope you really enjoy it. Descent is one of the coolest crawl games that I have ever played. Hero quest was my fave before descent came out. I would love to see a new edition of the same old hero quest, as the game is out of print and very expensive. The rules for it were far more concise than the ones for descent, one of the game's biggest drawbacks.

Ohnojojo said:

Man, it's sad to think of a brand new descent game sitting unused for three years. Glad to hear you picked it back up, and I hope you really enjoy it. Descent is one of the coolest crawl games that I have ever played. Hero quest was my fave before descent came out. I would love to see a new edition of the same old hero quest, as the game is out of print and very expensive. The rules for it were far more concise than the ones for descent, one of the game's biggest drawbacks.

It is sad. I cracked open the box and it was exactly as I left it 3 years ago. Thankfully, I sorted all the pieces into baggies.

I think to learn the game I am going to start by using some of the solo rules posted on Board Game Geek. After I get comfortable, then I'll have friends over to play the standard way.

I'm probably going to get the expansions at some point, but only using Road to Legend as a pool of new dungeons to explore. (I doubt I'll do the whole campaign setup)

RtL is an awesome resource for new dungeons if you just want new material. That said, the advanced camp is a really cool way to get some of that rpg feel into this game. The other expansions have some fun new stuff in them as well, apart from the core set, but they are not really necessary. To get the hang of playing it, I found that actually playing with a few patient and interested friends was the way to go, after reading the rules book through several times of course. This is one of those games where if you make any mistake in the following of rules it will throw the game WAY out of whack. Unfortunatly, that's easy to do with descent as it has some of the most disjointed rule books i have ever seen in a game that's not a d20 type(d&d).

I would recommend trying out RtL as a running camp if you have some gamer friends that are interested. I found it to be more enjoyable than the "Vanilla" Descent games. The carryover is what did it for me. Keep in mind that I have never been a hero in descent, always the overlord. But my wife and some close friends really had a blast with it. If your not going to do the advanced camp then I would say go with the other expansions as it adds more dungeons and more monsters. RtL has no new monsters. Whatever you do, don't let this awesome game sit all alone for another three years.

I'm loving Road to Legend. For me, it's not the campaign aspect of it; I would probably prefer to play the stand-alone quests. The clincher is the fact that I can play discrete hunks of the game.

The group I play with is very methodical. What takes most groups an hour takes ours 2 1/2.

Played a 4 hero solo run of Quest 1 today! Even though it was a slow game because I had to keep checking the rules, I still had a blast! I'm really digging the dice-system for this game! I'm sure the game will run much smoother once I get the rules/system down!

Finished Quest 2 last night. The game went much smoother this time. And the quest threw up more of a challenge. Luckily after having one of the brothers ressurected once, I ran down the correct hall and stumbled upon his heart after killing the Ogre and his minions. But yea, I ended up killing 3 Giants and gazillions of other beasties who spawned during the game!

Quest 3 was very enjoyable! The game runs quite smooth now and I don't have to check the rules nearly as much as I used to!

:)