Escape from Arkham Asylum! headline

By CptWasp, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

In the Italian text there's some ambiguity: if an investigator destroys the last of the maniacs
a) he will receive an exhibit item
b) each investigator will receive an exhibit item?

Thank you very much, and long life to AH!

The inmates at the Asylum all begin chanting in an ancient language, and overpower the orderlies! "Nephren-Ka! Nephren-Ka!" The streets flood with the insane. Collect up to 3 Maniacs, drawing them first from the monster cup, then from the Outskirts, then from those claimed as trophies. Place them all in the Downtown streets.
Investigators who defeat all 3 Maniacs before the end of the next turn may draw 1 Exhibit Item. Leave this card in play until then to indicate this.

Even in English, this card has some ambiguity. Most of the CotDP do to some level. Two thoughts here.

1) Some people believe only 1 investigator can particpate and he must kill all 3 maniacs,. If he does, only he draws 1 Exhbit Item.

2) Is that up to 3 investigators can particpate. Whoever contributes to killing them, each draw 1 Exhibit Item.

Regardless of how you want to play it, it should only be those directly involved in the killing.

I am of the 2nd option thinking that multiple investigators can get in on the kill. Because A) it is not clear if maniacs already in Arkham are drawn to the Downtown streets as there is no provision for it on the card. And B) the card, though awkwardly stated, does indicate investigator S implying this is a team task.

I could see #2 kind of clunky i.e. investigator #1 moves to the Downtown street kills a Maniac then evades the other two...then Investigator #2 kills a Manic and evades the last, etc

MrsGamura said:

I could see #2 kind of clunky i.e. investigator #1 moves to the Downtown street kills a Maniac then evades the other two...then Investigator #2 kills a Manic and evades the last, etc

I was thinking more like a maniac or two was already on the board and so wasn't swept to the Downtown streets. Different investigators would have to fight them since once you engage a monster your movement ends.

Or Investigator A killed one but failed a check and ended up in the hospital and then Investigator 2 had to clean up.

This card does not seem that ambiguous. "Investigators who defeat all 3 Maniacs before the end of the next turn may draw 1 Exhibit item." The reward is ONE exhibit item, and the requirement is that you defeat ALL THREE maniacs within the given time limit. If you defeat only one or two of the maniacs, you fail to complete the requirements. I would not allow multiple investigator to farm items off of this card, or reward anyone who required assistance in killing three maniacs. For goodness sakes, its three maniacs! The exhibit item is really overkill in the rewards department, its 3 toughness in monsters that you can effectively claim for free!

OK, then why the word "investigators"? If it was meant to be one, why not say "The investigator who defeats..."

The reward may be overkill but there are instances of Rumors giving some hefty rewards to ALL players for minimal sacrifice.

Maybe you don't claim the maniacs as trophies, (they just count as markers) and it's a way to drag all the investigators to Downtown streets. Those investigators that can make it there during the 1 turn that it is available gets to fight 3 maniacs, then claim 1 Exhibit item. Then I suppose you put the Maniacs back in the cup when you discard the card.

OK, i'm assuming a lot here, but it is CotDP!

Garzini said:

Maybe you don't claim the maniacs as trophies, (they just count as markers) and it's a way to drag all the investigators to Downtown streets. Those investigators that can make it there during the 1 turn that it is available gets to fight 3 maniacs, then claim 1 Exhibit item. Then I suppose you put the Maniacs back in the cup when you discard the card.

OK, i'm assuming a lot here, but it is CotDP!

Hmm, an interesting interpretation. It would mean that each investigator would have met the requirement of defeating all 3 maniacs to get 1 exhibit item. The card would then be similar to a one turn only environment effect with an activity in the downtown streets. As an additional benefit, it would mean that the card could still be played out regardless of monster limit in Arkham. If this was the game designers intent, however, the card should have been worded better. By simply adding "any" or "each" in front of "investigators", the intent for the card to have been applied to multiple investigators would have been clear. That one word makes a lot of difference.

As far as the plural in "Investigators", I just dismissed this as a typo. Just like how one-shot weapons say "combat checks", despite the fact that they are only good for a single check.

Bad Dog said:

If this was the game designers intent, however, the card should have been worded better. By simply adding "any" or "each" in front of "investigators", the intent for the card to have been applied to multiple investigators would have been clear. That one word makes a lot of difference.

As far as the plural in "Investigators", I just dismissed this as a typo. Just like how one-shot weapons say "combat checks", despite the fact that they are only good for a single check.

And so ambiguity enters....

I am not saying that your interpretation is necessarily wrong, I am just saying that the way it is worded leads to possible conflicting interpretations. There is a lot left off of this card and a word here or there might have cleared it up considerably.

• Again, what do you do with Maniacs on the board already? They are not listed as places you gather them from so a strict reading says they stay where they are. You gather only from the cup, the outskirts, and the trophies. No mention of the actual city or Rumor cards that might have them on there.
  • What do you do if placing these monsters brings you above the Arkham Monster limit? Do they go into the Outskirts again and possibly the monster cup even if they just came from there? No mention on the card so you should defer to the rules which says this how it would play out. The maniacs aren't treated as Spawn monsters (which weren't designed yet) and this isn't a Rumor card that takes them off board.

CotDP was the most poorly written expansion ever. Love the theme, hate the execution.

As far as weapons, you bring up a valid point. However, I dismissed the use of plurality in those cards as you already have a weapon template set up and it is easy to be consistent. This Mythos card is unique and so any "misspellings" might be intentional.

I have to say I'm with Bad Dog on the way this reads. One investigator goes there and defeats all three maniacs for one exhibit item and the card is discarded. Refering to investigators I just took to mean that any investigator could take part and that is how the cards are written... ref: one shot weapons. If for the rest of the turn any investigator could go and kill 3 maniacs for an item each then it would say so but it says that the card is discarded once 3 maniacs are killed by one person. I fair to see any ambiguity at all in the card.

I have to say I'm with Bad Dog on the way this reads. One investigator goes there and defeats all three maniacs for one exhibit item and the card is discarded. Refering to investigators I just took to mean that any investigator could take part and that is how the cards are written... ref: one shot weapons. If for the rest of the turn any investigator could go and kill 3 maniacs for an item each then it would say so but it says that the card is discarded once 3 maniacs are killed by one person. I fair to see any ambiguity at all in the card.

And for some bizarre reason it appears to have posted the message twice. *shrugs* sorry

I treat this one as placing 3 spawn maniacs (or fewer if 3 can't be found) on the streets. Only the investigator who kills the last one gets the Exhibit item.

If they're still there at the end of the next mythos phase when the headline expires, they lose their temporary spawn status and probably go to the outskirts.

This almost certainly can't be the originally intended interpretation, since spawn monsters didn't exist in CotDP, but it seems closest to the original intent, is fun to play, and doesn't make the headline impossible due to monster limits 90% of the time.

(Same for the one that puts ghosts into Miskatonic)

Garzini said:

cim said:

I treat this one as placing 3 spawn maniacs (or fewer if 3 can't be found) on the streets. Only the investigator who kills the last one gets the Exhibit item.

If they're still there at the end of the next mythos phase when the headline expires, they lose their temporary spawn status and probably go to the outskirts.

This almost certainly can't be the originally intended interpretation, since spawn monsters didn't exist in CotDP, but it seems closest to the original intent, is fun to play, and doesn't make the headline impossible due to monster limits 90% of the time.

(Same for the one that puts ghosts into Miskatonic)

I play similar to you here...never thought as treating them as spawn though but have been ignoring them for monster limit. I short of view this card similar to the Terrible Experiment rumor.

don't forget the one with the fly monsters...

...and should I even bring up the Environment where locus are hopping everwhere and the Headline that places two exhibit items on the streets...the both say "end their turn there". So to get the Exhbit item you just be there until end of the turn or the locus attack in you end your movement? Sort of think they meant to say "end your movement" on these cards!