Descent in the middle earth?

By zero80, in Middle-earth Quest

I read the rules.

Is this game descent in the middle earth?? The combat system remember me starcraft board game

zero80 said:

I read the rules.

Is this game descent in the middle earth?? The combat system remember me starcraft board game

I read the rulebook once so far and I don't think it is anything like Descent.

I'm guessing it's more like Middle Earth CCG(Iron Crown Entereprises mid 1990s) with a map. Heck, the CCG from ICE even had an optional map you could use to play. It heavily reminds me of that which is a good thing as I loved that game!

This game is like Descent only in that one player represents evil (The Overlord and Sauron) and is advancing nefarious schemes while the other players are all heroes seeking to stop this evil and who must cooperate together to do so. So the "meta-structure" or dramatic arc of the two games is the same. But game play is as different as night and day (though there are some similarities to Descent: Road to Legend). I agree that when I read the combat rules, the first thing that came to mind was that this reminded me of Starcraft: diceless combat resolution through card play. There is some similarity to Runebound and to World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game in that each hero has a unique deck of cards that is used for movement, skills, combat, and so forth, personalizing the character and giving the game an RPG feel. It's not surprising to find a game that has successful elements from earlier designs, but the whole is more than the sum of its parts. In this case, MEQ as a whole feels unique, offering gameplay unlike any previous game. We'll know in a few days when the product hits the market.

David Spangler said:

This game is like Descent only in that one player represents evil (The Overlord and Sauron) and is advancing nefarious schemes while the other players are all heroes seeking to stop this evil and who must cooperate together to do so. So the "meta-structure" or dramatic arc of the two games is the same. But game play is as different as night and day (though there are some similarities to Descent: Road to Legend). I agree that when I read the combat rules, the first thing that came to mind was that this reminded me of Starcraft: diceless combat resolution through card play. There is some similarity to Runebound and to World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game in that each hero has a unique deck of cards that is used for movement, skills, combat, and so forth, personalizing the character and giving the game an RPG feel. It's not surprising to find a game that has successful elements from earlier designs, but the whole is more than the sum of its parts. In this case, MEQ as a whole feels unique, offering gameplay unlike any previous game. We'll know in a few days when the product hits the market.

I was just going to respond with a short "No," so I'm glad David gave a deeper answer...

when release? any review?

MiddleEarth Quest is supposed to be out this month, according to FFG's latest Upcoming Releases schedule.

Torbal said:

I was just going to respond with a short "No," so I'm glad David gave a deeper answer...

"No" works too! happy.gif

Reminded me a bit of Arkham Horror.

In AH, the players travel around Arkham, collecting clues so that they can seal gates and prevent the ancient one from awakening. Along the way, they battle monsters and have encounters that are random but depend on the locations they visit.

In MEQ, the players travel around Middle earth, collecting favor so that they can foil plots and prevent Sauron from taking over Middle Earth. Along the way, they battle monsters and ahve encounters that are random but depend on the locations they visit.

Of course... some big difference include that nobody plays the ancient one / mythos in AH, whereas one player takes an antagonist role in MEQ. Also, combat is a lot different. Much more tactical rather than random.

MasterDinadan said:

Reminded me a bit of Arkham Horror.

In AH, the players travel around Arkham, collecting clues so that they can seal gates and prevent the ancient one from awakening. Along the way, they battle monsters and have encounters that are random but depend on the locations they visit.

In MEQ, the players travel around Middle earth, collecting favor so that they can foil plots and prevent Sauron from taking over Middle Earth. Along the way, they battle monsters and ahve encounters that are random but depend on the locations they visit.

Of course... some big difference include that nobody plays the ancient one / mythos in AH, whereas one player takes an antagonist role in MEQ. Also, combat is a lot different. Much more tactical rather than random.

Completely agree with this. Arkham Horror is definitely the game that came to mind while playing MEQ.

I not sure if this game is out yet.

I've seen it in a store in Spain.

Yes it is definitely not Descent or Runebound in Middle Earth. Thanks to the boards and all the impressions, I did not buy this one.

Looks more like Middle Earth Arkham Horror style. (not my style of game)