Shotgun Knockback

By Trump281, in Doom

OK, so I'm reading about giving Shotguns Knockback intead of Blow-Through and thinking that's a good idea. I wonder about implementing it though. Other Knockback attacks make sense to me as far as having the figure moved in any direction, but wouldn't a shotgun only move a figure AWAY? It seems a little weird to me to move him suddenly from in front of me to my back and right (for example). I guess I could rationalize that the creature was temporarily blinded and charged exactly where the marines wanted him to...

Shottie creates a HUGE vacuum of air that sucks the monster forward partido_risa.gif !

Nah. According to physics, if the opponent is getting knocked three spaces back, then so are you (in the opposite direction).

I think Blow-Through works better, because it demonstrates the buckshot's tendency to spread out slightly. In game terms, you're aiming the shotgun slightly off-center of your primary target, trying to harm the target to its side a little too. I use this tactic in doom 2 all the time. The reduced damage and accuracy (range) of the sub-hit as a result of dropping the blue die is a great representation, in my opinion.

I always thought they should just change the term blow - through to scatter shot. Blow - through sounds more like and armor piercing round penetrating its target and hitting another behind it. Ah, im just begin nit picky. lengua.gif

I think of it as a double-barrel shotgun. That makes sense in every way except not being able to fire both barrels at the same one-space figure. Oh well, it's enough to let me sleep at night. :)