Production and Resources

By Chromatism, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

A couple of questions arising from the Shards of the Throne expansion and a general derp moment concerning multiple stardocks in the same system:

1) If I have multiple SDs in the same system, how does that work when it comes to resource management? As I understand it each SD has its own individual capacity, meaning the production capacity isn't pooled. Does this mean that if I produce units at Stardock A and have resources left over from my exhausted planets, they don't carry over to my as yet unused Stardock B?

2) Concerning the Arborec, with the logic above, does that mean I need to exhaust a different planet per ground force since each GF has its own individual production capacity of 1? That is to say I can't exhaust a planet for 3 resources and then build 3 fighters with my 3 ground forces?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't quite figure this one out. Thank you.

1) What the "cannot pool" means is that two docks cannot "share" building something. Two examples:

a) If you want to build 2 fighters/2 ground forces, you can't build one at one dock and the other at the other dock; both have to come from the same dock.

b) If you have Sarween Tools and activate a system with 2 docks, you can't build a cruiser for free and split it between the two docks. One of the docks has to build the cruiser, so you'd have to play 1 extra resource. The other dock's Sarween Tools can only be spent on builds at that dock.

You CAN build at multiple docks in a system, and in most cases, you can effectively just combine the total build capacity and build - it's only in a few corner cases like the two examples above that the "can't pool" bit really applies, because in most cases, you can divide the two build pools cleanly between the two docks.

2) If the planet you are building at has 3 Ground Force units, you could spend a 3-resource planet to build 3 GF or 3 Fighters (or a mix thereof) at the planet. Here is another case similar to 1a above though - you can't spend just 1 resource to build 2 GFs in this situation, because each GF "pseudo-dock" only has a capacity of one, and so when you spend the 1, you get 2 GFs, but one is lost because the building GF/dock can't support building two at a time (unless you get Spore Acceleration).

I hope that makes sense. The "can't pool" bit only really matters for niche situations, which includes the Arborec in some cases.

That was brilliantly explained. So in essence its just the way the game is modelled... You're sending those resources to your production facilities in the activated system, but each production facility has its own individual capacity. Thank you!