Magic Gateways and Large Monsters

By Parathion, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

How do they interact?

Would e.g. a Bane Spider step through the gateway for 1 MP with its front half and be teleported with its complete body to the target piece? What happens if the target gateway piece or one or both of the two adjacent spaces are occupied by a hero - is he pushed aside or is the gateway blocked?

Or does the spider have to spend 2 MP to move through the gateway? Again, what happens if the target gateway piece or adjacent spaces is blocked by a hero?

Parathion said:

How do they interact?

Would e.g. a Bane Spider step through the gateway for 1 MP with its front half and be teleported with its complete body to the target piece? What happens if the target gateway piece or one or both of the two adjacent spaces are occupied by a hero - is he pushed aside or is the gateway blocked?

Or does the spider have to spend 2 MP to move through the gateway? Again, what happens if the target gateway piece or adjacent spaces is blocked by a hero?

I have to say I can find nothing that gives any indication how large monsters should be treated through magic gateways. They are 2 spaces wide, unlike stairways, so there is no reason they should definitely be restricted like stairways are.

I reckon this is an excellent question for the next FAQ round we send in.

Suggestion 1: they can't move through at all.

Suggestion 2: They can only move through if they have enough MP to get all their spaces through and there is physically room for them to fit at the far end.

Suggestion 3: They may move entirely through for one MP if there is room on the other side

Suggestion 4: others?

Since the rules say that a "figure" may move through a gateway and do not explicitly say heroes (or not monsters), we should assume that monsters can pass through them, for now. I would be inclined to say that a large monster would be able to occupy both ends of the gateway simultaneously (one part on one side of the gatway and the other part on the other side). I would treat this as a gateway and not a teleport.

Another interesting question would be does it block LoS? The rules state that attacks cannot be made thru the gateway, but does it allow a hero to trace LoS thru it (preventing OL spawning) on the other side?

Having a monster half in and half out of a portal is clearly an untenable solution. The least problematic solution seems to be to apply the same rules as small figures use. The gateways function as teleports, it seems best to treat them as such even if it provides a one or two space movement advantage to large creatures.