Some characters missing?

By ataribaby, in Grimm RPG

Hi all,

New D6 book just arrived and looks so great. I just noticed some characters from D20 version missing in bestiary. Like Frog pronce and lovely Little Rad Ridding Hood. Is there some guidelines how to convert them to new D6 stats? Thanks for advices.

Note: for brevity, I will refer to the Linear d6 system as L6.

There are not really any established guidelines for translating from the d20 system to the L6 system. Since you asked, I did a little comparison on my own to see what the game designers may have down when recreating the charaters in the new system, and it seems that they have done just that, completely recreated the characters in the new system, often keeping only the background.

Very general guidelines would be to treat level or hit dice in the d20 system as the grade in the L6 system, but this is not universally adhered to. Cinderella, for example, goes from being a level 4 character in d20 to a grade 6 character in L6. The more significant and/or powerful the character is, the higher their grade will be. I would suggest graduating Red Riding Hood from a 3 hit dice character (d20) to a grade 6 character (L6), as she seems both powerful and strongly iconic (one of the more recognizable characters). On the other hand, I would translate The Frog Prince directly across from a 4 hit dice character (d20) to a grade 4 character (L6), as he does not seem as powerful as Red.

Speed is another area where the games diverge a little. In d20, a medium creature will have a speed of 30 feet. As this is an average sped in d20, it should translate to an average speed in L6, and in many cases it does; but not in every case. Cinderella, Jack, and The Ugly Duckling all have a speed of 30 feet in the d20 system. In the L6 system, Cinderella is Average speed, Jack is Fast, and The Ugly Duckling is Slow. There are lots of other examples, but I think the point is made that in L6 speed is not as much a fixed characteristic as it is in d20. Just use your best judgement, is the character faster or slower than average. For example, in d20, Red has a lot of feats which suggest quickness (Improved Initiative, Lightning reflexes, Mobility), so I would be inclined to give her a Fast speed.

Next your character needs to be given traits. Core traits may serve a similar significance to Abilities, but there are not really direct relations between each of the core traits, and each of the abilities. You will find a little more in common between Playground/Study Traits and Skills, but there is not a formula for translating a skill bonus to a trait grade, as the designers don't appear to have used one. Just look at what skills and abilities look to be above or below average, and grade them accordingly. For example, Red has a Charisma of 21 (the same as Cinderella). This appears to have translated into a Cool of 12th grade, and Cool as the character's iconic trait. The high Cool should also cover her high Trick skill. Her high Notice skill would equate to a high Seek trait.

Don't try to base any of the trait grades off of base attack or saves, as in the d20 system these are all a direct result of level, and not a real indication of skill; use your best judgement instead. You can use feats to give you an idea of where a character might has higher traits, but do not try and translate them into talents, as the NPCs don't generally have any talents. Instead they have special stuff. This is just like in the d20 system. Soft Spots and Vulnerabilities are basically the same thing, as are many of the abilities; however, this is a perfect opportunity to fine tune some of the abilities to better reflect the character instead of the system. For example, The Frog Prince is given a Telekinesis special ability to simulate his tongue. The L6 system does not rely on lists of pre-made spell-like abilites to define what its characters can do, so change this ability so that it becomes exactly what it was intended to be, a tongue. Something like this is much more appropriate than telekinesis: Tongue : The Frog Prince can use his long, flexible tongue to make wrestling attempts on a target up to a cricket's hop away.

Anyways, there are my suggestions. I did not simply post translated charcters because the game is still new to me, and I do not claim to have a full understanding of what impact everything is going to have on actual gameplay. Perhaps, after more reading, I might; but for now, my suggestions are simply based off of my observations from doing a comparitive analysis of the NPCs included in both games. Ultimately, the grades you assign are going to depend on how major, or how minor, of a threat you want that character to be in your story. Tailor it to your needs. I hope this has been helpful.

Thanks a lot for long and comprehensive answer. Verz valuable ideas for me. I am in process of reding book too. What i read yet i like game a lot. Not so tactical and just pure fun. I will show you my conversions when i done it. Thanks again and check your back. Red Hooded can be there :)

The more I compare the numbers, the more I believe that the d20 stats and the L6 stats have nothing in common. Cinderalla and Mother Goose both had strength scores of 11; yet Cinderella gets a muscle of 5 and Mother Goose gets a muscle of 3. Jack had a charisma score of 7, which becomes a cool of 6. However, both the Three "Little" Pigs and the Dwarfs, which had a slightly higher charisma of 8, get a much lower cool, of 2 and 3 respectively. I am fairly convinced that the game designers threw out the d20 stat blocks, and recreated the characters in the new system from scratch. When trying to stat out characters in the L6 system, it would probably be best to do the same.

It seems that the best way to stat out characters would be to compare them to other characters, and decide whether their scores should be higher or lower. To that end, I compiled a representative list of characters. Rather than list everyone in the book, I just placed the most representative characters. I carried the Common Folk throughout, as they made a good benchmark, then I placed those characters with iconic traits (those are marked by an astrix), and finally, filled in the charts, where possible (not every level had a character for it), with other characters, choosing the "best known" characters where multiple characters might apply. Enjoy!

Grade
1. Mouse
2. Mr. Hoots
3. Common Folk
4. Chris Barnum
5. Mad Marion
6. Cinderella
7. Big Bad Wolf
8. Beast
9. Fetch
10. Humpty Dumpty
12. Dragon

Core Traits

Cool
1. Mouse
2. Common Folk
3. Griffon
4. Chris Barnum
5. Big Bad Wolf*
6. Jack*
7. Three Spinsters*
8. Hansel and Gretel
9. Mother Goose
11. Baba Yaga*
12. Cinderella*

Pluck
1. Three Pigs
2. Common Folk
3. Chris Barnum
4. Crooked Man*
5. Ugly Duckling*
6. Hansel and Gretel*
7. Beast
8. Jack*
9. Kanaka and Kahuna
10. Giants
11. Baba Yaga
12. Tooth Fairy

Imagination
1. Rapunzel
2. Common Folk
3. Chris Barnum*
4. Mother Goose*
5. Cinderella
6. Tooth Fairy*
7. Dragon
8. Brownies
10. Fairies
12. Humpty Dumpty*

Luck
1. Ugly Duckling
2. Common Folk
3. Mouse
4. Humpty Dumpty
5. Cinderella
6. Three Pigs*
7. Dragon
9. Griffon*
12. Jack*

Muscle
1. Mouse
2. Common Folk
3. Mad Marion*
4. Chris Barnum
5. Peter Peter*
6. Jack*
7. Hans the Hedgehog*
8. Rapunzel*
9. Humpty Dumpty
10. Big Bad Wolf
11. Beast*
12. Dragon

Playground Traits

Hide
1. Cow
2. Griffon
3. Common Folk
4. Chris Barnum
5. Beauty
6. Beast
7. Big Bad Wolf
8. Peter Peter
9. Ugly Duckling
10. Hansel and Gretel
12. Tooth Fairy

Seek
1. Cow
2. Giant Ant
3. Common Folk
4. Hansel and Gretel
5. Hans the Hedgehog
6. Beast
7. Cinderella
8. Three Pigs
9. Ugly Duckling
10. Big Bad Wolf
11. Griffon
12. Humpty Dumpty

Scamper
1. Three Pigs
2. Mother Goose
3. Common Folk
4. Hansel and Gretel
5. Peter Peter
6. Tooth Fairy
7. Hans the Hedgehog
8. Beast
9. Rapunzel
10. Jack
11. Big Bad Wolf

Scrap
1. Three Pigs
2. Mad Marion
3. Common Folk
4. Cinderella
5. Hansel and Gretel
6. Jack
7. Ugly Duckling
8. Baba Yaga
9. Big Bad Wolf
10. Beast
12. Dragon

Throw
1. Crooked Man
2. Mad Marion
3. Common Folk
4. Hansel and Gretel
5. Humpty Dumpty
6. Big Bad Wolf
7. Dragon
8. Cinderella

4-H
1. Common Folk
2. Peter Peter
3. Tooth Fairy
4. Crooked Man
6. Ugly Duckling
7. Beast
8. Mother Goose

Book Learning
1. Noble Folk
2. Tooth Fairy
4. Humpty Dumpty
5. Three Pigs
6. Mother Goose
9. Baba Yaga
10. Mr. Hoots
12. Mad Marion

Boy Scouts
1. Common Folk
2. Mad Marion
3. Dwarfs
4. Ugly Duckling
5. Jack
6. Mother Goose
7. Peter Peter
8. Pixies

Country Club
1. Tooth Fairy
2. Giants
3. Gnomes
4. Humpty Dumpty
5. Beast
6. Noble Folk
7. Kahuna
11. Cinderella

Gaming
6. Gnomes
7. Chris Barnum
8. Beauty
10. Mother Goose
12. Baba Yaga

Home Ec
1. Common Folk
3. Giants
4. Brownies
5. Tooth Fairy
6. Animated broomstick
7. Beast
8. Giant Spiders
9. Three Spinsters
10. Cinderella

Industrial Arts
1. Common Folk
4. Tooth Fairy
5. Mad Marion
6. Peter Peter
7. Dwarfs
8. Hansel and Gretel
12. Three Pigs

Juvie
3. Goblin Brutes
4. Fairies
6. Three Pigs
9. Goblin Sneaks

Instead of trying to find some way to convert the characters just remake them. there is no formula just take the L6 system and understand it then create and play. :)

I've been doing some number crunching on how the Grimm NPC's are contstructed. if we apply the advancement costs to existing characters we find that starting Kids get about 60 points as 3rd grade characters. And will have 132 points worth of traits when they reach 12th Grade. This gives a range of 11 - 20 Trait points per grade level.

So in creating a new oponent of a particular grade level you should do somthing similer. Build minor monsters (that may apear in groups on 10-15 points per grade and major unique monsters on 15-20 points per grade.

Most friends and Foes presented seem to fit well within this range ( a little less so at low grade levels). Dragon for instance has 234 trait points in total and is 12 grade. I also notices that the guard templates presented use the same advancement points per grade that players get so that a Grade 6 guard has 16 points worth of advancement over a grade 4 guard.

So in shifting other monsters up or down a grade I would be inclined to do the same thing and town down their major traits at this same rate of 8 points per level.