New Rogue Trader Designer Diary: The Rogue Trader GM's Kit

By FFG Ross Watson, in Rogue Trader

Sounds fairly standard but useful. I'll consider it once I manage to get a copy of the core

I have yet to see one of these - for any game - that was worth half the money I spent on it. I'll be giving this a miss.

macd21 said:

I have yet to see one of these - for any game - that was worth half the money I spent on it. I'll be giving this a miss.

Please allow me to politely disagree. Though in the past I have found gm kits and screen's to be little more than a piece of cardboard with a pad of character sheets to photocopy I was rather impressed with the gm kit of Dark Heresy. The screen has beautiful artwork on some of the best quality card stock I have every seen a screen printed on, it is going to last a very long time. The packet/booklet included rules for creating xenos, rules on poisons that were interesting and useful (if you have read Eisenhorn, you'll know that poisons play a part in Inquisitor stories) and the adventure, though short, was quite a bit of fun for my starting group.

Though the Warhammer books and products from Black Library and now Fantasy Flight Games are some of the highest priced games I have bought, I have also found them to provide a strong return in playability, usefulness and simple fun factor. If the gm kit of Dark Heresy is any indicator, I think we'll find the Rogue Trader kit to be useful as well.

Peace now.

TiverWHR01 said:

Please allow me to politely disagree. Though in the past I have found gm kits and screen's to be little more than a piece of cardboard with a pad of character sheets to photocopy I was rather impressed with the gm kit of Dark Heresy. The screen has beautiful artwork on some of the best quality card stock I have every seen a screen printed on, it is going to last a very long time. The packet/booklet included rules for creating xenos, rules on poisons that were interesting and useful (if you have read Eisenhorn, you'll know that poisons play a part in Inquisitor stories) and the adventure, though short, was quite a bit of fun for my starting group.

Though the Warhammer books and products from Black Library and now Fantasy Flight Games are some of the highest priced games I have bought, I have also found them to provide a strong return in playability, usefulness and simple fun factor. If the gm kit of Dark Heresy is any indicator, I think we'll find the Rogue Trader kit to be useful as well.

Peace now.

I rarely find screens to be at all useful. If you are the type of GM who uses the screen, then it might be worthwhile.

The booklet had probably the worst adventure for DH yet printed and some useless rules for xenos creation. The bit on poisons was the only piece that was at all interesting.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that any game that needs a GM's Screen is a bad game. If I can't keep the essential rules in my head, the rules are too complex. That's just my opinion, of course.

LuciusT said:

Personally, I'm of the opinion that any game that needs a GM's Screen is a bad game. If I can't keep the essential rules in my head, the rules are too complex. That's just my opinion, of course.

I'll second, third, and fourth that one! Hell, it ought to be engraved on a plaque.