Seperating basic set & expansions?

By Raydivs, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Just came across a copy of Descent with the four expansions, all mixed together, and am wondering if there is a way to separate & sort the expansion material from the basics (i.e. a site, etc., that gives details as to exactly what cards belong to what set, etc.).

What I want is to experience the basic game, and then. one at a time, get into the expansions, so as not to just gorge down everything at once, and loose the feeling of new experiences & benefits from the expansions.

Any ideas, suggestions or recommendations?

Ray~

You could go through the photo gallery for each set on boardgamegeek. There you'll see all heroes, monsters, counters, tiles etc. for each. This will be TEDIOUS.

I suggest gorging. :)

In order to experience just the base game, it's not actually necessary to separate all components of the expansions--for example, you don't need to separate map pieces or props from expansions, since they simply won't appear in any base game quests.

Here's what I think you'll need to do:

Heroes:

The following heroes are from expansions:

Well of Darkness:

• Brother Glyr
  • Lord Hawthorne
  • Nanok of the Blade
  • Laurel of Bloodwood
  • Tetherys
  • Runemaster Thorn

Altar of Despair:

• Tahlia
  • Eliam
  • Corbin
  • Sahla
  • Aurim
  • Kirga

Tomb of Ice:

• Laughin Buldar
  • Karnon
  • Okaluk and Rakash
  • Arvel Worldwalker
  • Shiver
  • Zyla

Shop/Treasure Cards:

Shop and treasure cards from the expansions should each have a colored icon in the corner indicating the expansion they're from (these are the same icons on the ability reference sheets on the rear cover of most expansion rulebooks), so for the most part they should be easy to separate. However, the Well of Darkness expansion also includes errata'd versions of some cards from the base game, and so its icon may also appear on the following base game cards:

• Bow (a shop item)
  • Bow of Bone (a silver treasure)
  • Golden Armor (a silver treasure)
  • Dragon Scale Mail (a gold treasure)

Hero Skill Cards:

Cards from the base game should have white backgrounds on their fronts, while expansion cards are color-coded by type. However, again, there are reprintings of a couple of base game cards, which may therefore have colors:

• Leadership (a combat skill)
  • Acrobat (a subterfuge skill)
  • Divine Retribution (a wizardry skill)

Feats:

All feats are from the Tomb of Ice expansion.

Overlord Cards:

Any card with a colored background is from an expansion (they may also have the expansion icons, I'm not sure). Also, you should have one copy of "Explosive Runes", which may also have a colored background, because, again, it was reprinted in an expansion.

Note that some of the expansion cards are exact copies of base game cards--for example, you should have one colorless "Paralyzing Gas" trap (from the base game) and a colored version (from the Altar of Despair).

Other:

The Prolonged Order tokens aren't used except in some of the Altar of Despair quests.

I think that covers everything. Note that I don't think it will actually harm your game experience to leave the cards mixed in, as long as you don't introduce treachery or feats right away.

But I don't wanna have to do all that... isn't there a button I could push that'll do all of it for me? ;)

Thanks much Veinman & Antistone! Now, would you both be so good as to come over and play, as I can't seem to turn up any players around here.

Ray~

On Board Game Geeks there's a file that lists every single tokens found in each box. Go to their descent page and browse through the files.

If I'm not mistaken the lists in the front of each manual are pretty exhaustive. Maybe not tho, has been a while since I looked.

Each card set also has an icon identifying which expansion it belongs to.

D

Exactly. This would be much easier to look things up than using BBG. Fantasy Flight already thought about sorting things out so you know what set they are from.

Roy Batty said:

Each card set also has an icon identifying which expansion it belongs to.

D