Fear and Blast

By Gameogre, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I was checking around to see if the question was already answered anywhere but I can't find anything.

1) If an area attack, like Blast, targets a square containing a figure with Fear 1 and the attacker doesn't spend a surge to damage it, does the attack still damages other figures within the area or is the attack considered a miss?

2) Same as 1), but the the figure with fear is not in the targeted square but within the areas affected (like adjecent to the target square)?

3) Same as 2) but there is 2 figures with Fear 1 within the affected area.

Thanks but you didn't really answer my questions. gui%C3%B1o.gif

No to what?

Does the attack still damages other figures within the area?

or is the attack considered a miss?

as for 3) I realised that the answer on 1) aqnd 2) automatically answers part of 3) at least

Gameogre said:

Thanks but you didn't really answer my questions. gui%C3%B1o.gif

No to what?

Does the attack still damages other figures within the area?

or is the attack considered a miss?

as for 3) I realised that the answer on 1) aqnd 2) automatically answers part of 3) at least

Edited previous answer- sorry! Bottom line... if Fear is not met, the attack fails

If a figure with Fear would be affected by the attack, and you do not pay the surge(s) to overcome the Fear, the entire attack fails. This can lead to somewhat interesting situations where you have enough surges to increase the Blast radius, but doing so would cause it to include a figure with Fear, and you don't have enough surges to both increase the Blast radius and overcome the Fear, so you have to be content with the smaller radius if you want the attack to accomplish anything.

If you want the summary on #3 from the discussion thread, most people seem to feel that you need to pay surges equal to the sum of the Fear ranks of every figure affected by the attack or the entire attack fails, but one person is arguing that you only need to pay for the single highest Fear ability, and the rules aren't as explicit as one would hope.

But about as explicit as one would expect from FFG.