Curtiss triplane

By Toolian, in Wings of War (WWI)

Made this for what if/pulp fiction gaming

DSCI0375.jpg

DSCI0374.jpg

DSCI0376.jpg

DSCI0379.jpg

Ah -- a "Cactus Kitten". I didn't even know they made models of that; most folks have never heard of it.

csadn said:

Ah -- a "Cactus Kitten". I didn't even know they made models of that; most folks have never heard of it.

I don't think any company does make it. I sctratched built this plane. And I believe the Cactus Kitten is different from the Curtiss 18t wasp.

Great Job again! Model would still look better without that ugly background. lengua.gif

The Sundance Kid said:

I don't think any company does make it. I sctratched built this plane. And I believe the Cactus Kitten is different from the Curtiss 18t wasp.

True. Looks like the CK from the pics, tho' -- is that seat behind the wings the only one?

There is the pilot seat right under the top wing.

One of the biggest flaws of the plane was a bad fiew for a fighter pilot, its speed made it a good race plane. The position of the cockpit made it difficult to see anything other than stright ahead.

The Sundance Kid said:

There is the pilot seat right under the top wing.

Can't see it in the pics. Oh well. :)

If you are into Triplanes then both Pfalz and Albatross made one each, there is rumours that the Pfalz DrI that was produced in 10-15 machines actually reached the front, so they might have seen actual combat even if actual evidence are scarce.

Wikipedia seems to say that they actually made 10 and used them at the front if you trust Wiki. I have read 2 books saying that it is just a rumour and no one can confirm it was used.

sanke1054Pfalz.jpg

The Albatross were tested by Albatross test pilot but seems to have been a dissapointment, and the project was trashed directly.

So the last one is in the same alternative reality as your Curtiss plane. But I guess I would allow the Pfalz plane if someone came with it, probably using a Fokker DrIs cards (The Fokker did however have one big advantage, it's superior rate of climbing, but Wow isn't really making that point to matter since 4 altitudes really can't be fair to the difference in climb and dive between the planes). It would be an odd plane you could build and actually use in a official game without any "what if?" scenarious.

Of course "What if?" could be an interesting tournament. :)

I have alreay started building a Albatross Dr.I

Also thought about the Nieuport triplane. But I really need to finish my zeppelin.

That looks cool!!

If you do finish that Zeppelin, i would be very interested in pics and how you made it. I've been bouncing that idea in me 'ed but i need a kick in the backside to get me started.

Thanks...Dave W

SgtWaka said:

That looks cool!!

If you do finish that Zeppelin, i would be very interested in pics and how you made it. I've been bouncing that idea in me 'ed but i need a kick in the backside to get me started.

Thanks...Dave W

You do know that Skytrex are selling a Zeppelin?

BM5_3.jpg

Not a reason to not build one yourself of course and it is rather expensive but cool :)

Yes, i have checked out their site in more detail since discussing the "Gotha" with you in the other thread. They actually offer quite a variety. Can't recall the cost, because being a bleedin' yank, those pound signs and #'s don't stick in me tossin' head. preocupado.gif Nonetheless, i would still like to build several for myself. I 'm sure ive got the ability and probably got the materials on hand, i've just had so much going on this winter with different projects, that i can't stay focused on just one.

SgtWaka said:

Yes, i have checked out their site in more detail since discussing the "Gotha" with you in the other thread. They actually offer quite a variety. Can't recall the cost, because being a bleedin' yank, those pound signs and #'s don't stick in me tossin' head. preocupado.gif Nonetheless, i would still like to build several for myself. I 'm sure ive got the ability and probably got the materials on hand, i've just had so much going on this winter with different projects, that i can't stay focused on just one.

Basicly you double the price to get it in dollar. Skytrex doesn't make perfect models and some are better than others (but the same goes for the Wow planes). The American company Reviresco is generally closer to the real planes than both Skytrex and Wows planes, but this is gaming and not exact models so they are good enough for our purpose.

There are some US stores that import some of skytrex stuff but it is easier to order them from england as long as you remember that you might have to pay for customs also.

Building them yourself is another thing, that is fun in it's own. I would imagine that you could do the "skeleton" with piano-wire and then either use japan paper or the stuff that RC planes have on their wings (usually a kind of plastic that shrinks when you apply heat on it, or in older cases a kind of cloth). I wont do it myself however since I don't have the room to store a plane like that.

SgtWaka said:

Can't recall the cost, because being a bleedin' yank, those pound signs and #'s don't stick in me tossin' head.

http://www.xe.com/ <- useful tool for figuring out prices in currencies other than one's own.

This looks great!