A sale to "Die" for....

By Antigoth, in UFS Off Topic

Just read this , it blew my mind:

Surging shoppers kill New York Wal-Mart worker

7 hours ago

Loading... http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20081128/NEWS-US-USA-HOLIDAYSALES-DEATH/#' title="Click here to recommend this content.">

NEW YORK — A man working for Wal-Mart was killed on Friday when a throng of shoppers surged into a Long Island, New York, store and physically broke down the doors, a police spokesman said.

The 34-year-old man was at the entrance of the Valley Stream Walmart store just after it opened at 5 a.m. local time and was knocked to the ground, the police report said. The exact cause of death was still to be determined by a medical examiner. Four shoppers, including a 28-year-old pregnant woman, were also taken to local hospitals for injuries sustained in the incident, police said.

Wal-Mart said it was saddened by the death of the man, who was working for a temporary employment agency serving the discount retailer, and by the injuries suffered by shoppers. "The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority," the world's largest retailer said in a statement. It said the incident was still under investigation and referred any other inquiries to local police.

The Friday after America's Thanksgiving holiday is known a Black Friday and marks what is traditionally the busiest retail day of the year, kicking off the Christmas shopping season.
U.S. stores across the country opened in the early hours of Friday to offer discounts to consumers hit by a contracting economy. Hundreds of shoppers waited on line before dawn at some locations to secure deals on holiday gifts.

(Reporting by Michele Gershberg; Editing by Daniel Trotta and Sandra Maler)

I mean really people? It's so important to get to the sale, that you have to trample people alive?

Wooooow that's pathetic. I really don't know what to say about this except just wow.

Well I have this to say actually, I've worked a little bit at wal-mart and there are always people waiting in line first thing in the morning when we open, and I've always wondered what those kind of people would do for a major sale, I really didn't want to know that badly.

Antigoth said:

I mean really people? It's so important to get to the sale, that you have to trample people alive?

Seen it on Boxing Day over here, so apparently so.

Have you heard the other story? I heard something about the two people who were shot (dunno if they were killed or not) at (wait for it)...

Toys 'R Us.

I've never experienced Black Friday, living in the UK, but it sounds like a nightmare, I can't believe people are trampled alive in shops. I mean, we have after Xmas sales, but nothing like this that I know of.

I don't see the big deal and why people go so crazy to save a few bucks (most people aren't buying the TVs and stuff where you save a lot). My mom went to Wal-mart yesterday and they had bins of DVDs on sale for $2 each and she said people were crowding all around them and some people were just grabing a bunch of DVDs and throwing them in their carts without even looking at what they were. I can't believe that a little sale would turn people into savages. I can understand wanting to buy a bunch of DVDs for $2 because they were all newer movies and stuff but why would anyone want to buy a bunch of random DVDs JUST because they are $2 each, stupid.

JDub said:

I don't see the big deal and why people go so crazy to save a few bucks (most people aren't buying the TVs and stuff where you save a lot). My mom went to Wal-mart yesterday and they had bins of DVDs on sale for $2 each and she said people were crowding all around them and some people were just grabing a bunch of DVDs and throwing them in their carts without even looking at what they were. I can't believe that a little sale would turn people into savages. I can understand wanting to buy a bunch of DVDs for $2 because they were all newer movies and stuff but why would anyone want to buy a bunch of random DVDs JUST because they are $2 each, stupid.

People are idiots.

I personally participated in the Adbusters initiative of not spending a dime on Black Friday.

Then again, it was kinda easy 'cause I went straight home after school.

JDub said:

I don't see the big deal and why people go so crazy to save a few bucks ( most people aren't buying the TVs and stuff where you save a lot ).

My Logitech Z-5500 speakers had a $100 discount when they were supposed to be $500ish. It was on Boxing Day. Lol, what should anyone without kids care whether they get their UBER PRESENT under a tree or wait a day later? Even so, it was my dad who bought them, and there was NO line-up .

Though, I can imagine human tsunamis for doorcrasher specials. "Free $2500 TV for the first guy..." sheesh.

It is for this reason that I will be boycotting Black Friday from here on out. There is no sale worth hurting or killing people over, and the practice of Black Friday turns people into savages. This is really a pathetic new low for society. Soon, employees will have to be armed to work on Black Friday. All for a a few lousy bucks on inferior electronics. (let's face it people are there for $20 DVD players or $300 laptops, not $100 off a quality piece of electronics).

Oh, I heard that the Toys R'Us shooting resulted in the fatalities of both shooters. I guess Karma kicked in. You brought a gun into a store, and you die by it. Honestly, though, who walks into a Toys R'Us packing heat?

i heard about the sale in newsweek. i'm glad i was sick on black friday so i couldn't take part in it.