Custom Faction: Forest Wolves

By EternalBeing, in Rune Age

Hey guys,

I created a new faction to play with my friends, and we playtested it for some time to balance it against the original factions.

I thought that it would be nice to share it with the rest of the Rune Age community (we like it a lot, and I hope you will too), so I translated the cards into English and uploaded them on BGG.

If you want to take a look, it's here : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/116114/custom-faction-forest-wolves

So, what is this new faction? It's called the Forest Wolves , and like all original factions it revolves around a specific game mechanics. As you know, Humans rely on drawing cards, Undeads on having cards in their discard pile, Uthuks on wounding units, Elves on spending influence, Dwarves on using gold cards, and Orcs on playing the last card of their hand. Well, Wolves rely on destroying canon fodder . You can also say that it revolves around managing deck pollution.

Basically:

- the cheapest unit is useless by itself (canon fodder)

- most of the other units need to destroy friendly units to do things

- there's one unit that adds canon fodder to the combat so that you can destroy them, but it adds a lot of them

- that means that you can be stronger by polluting your deck : it's a high risk, high stakes kind of gamble

- the legendary unit allows you to destroy the remaining canon fodder to prevent pollution (but it's a resolution ability so there's always a risk of it being removed from combat by your opponent)

That being said, I guess that it's easier to understand if you directly read the cards.

So please enjoy and give me feedback :)

So... did noone try it in the end? Too bad...

Hi, I really like this faction, I am not sure yet how balanced it is, I feel the 1s are too weak compared to other factions, but it does play very different and is fresh. BTW do you have an image of the card back by any chance?

Well, the 1s are indeed weak, but:

- two of them can still take a stronghold

- at least you don't have to worry about how you will remove them from your deck

In terms of balance, I think it is rather well balanced with other factions, except maybe for the Pack Leader that may need a small nerf. I realized recently that by using one to get another, it becomes too easy to have all Pack Leaders in your deck at all times. Combined with Mother Wolves, it removes the need for Gold in the deck at all, which is way too OP. I have yet to test it, but I think that limiting the units you can add to your hand with the Pack Leader to those with strength 3 or less should fix it.

Regarding the card back, I uploaded an image of it on BGG as an answer to your question in the comments below the file.

Edit: I uploaded the nerfed Pack Leader on BGG

Edited by EternalBeing